MP Etiquette: Following

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by CharlesG, Feb 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Hello all!

I have an etiquette question involving following other MP users. Currently I am only following one other user, and he's someone I know IRL (Hi Jetsetr!).

So my question is, is it okay to just follow random users whose posts I find interesting? Will I be being presumptuous if I do? Is it considered stalker-ish? Or is it like following someone on twitter, a desireable thing, and a good way to learn things from people who pique your interest?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Randy Petersen
    • Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

I'd consider it an honor to have you follow me and I consider the manner in which you would follow someone to be a positive. Consider it more like Twitter than perhaps like other places on the Internet. Etiquette always begins with 'please and thank you' and I think your post represents that well.

As for Jetsetr, excellent choice — excellent member. Follow on.
  3. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Thank you, Mr. Petersen! It is an honor to follow you!
    jmjgp12, flyingdawg, Kalboz and 8 others like this.
  4. jetsetr
    • Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Randy, you make me :blush:
    flyingdawg, Kalboz, rwoman and 4 others like this.
  5. Gargoyle
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

And btw, congrats, it looks like you should become Milepoint Silver in about 51 minutes.
    (if AlGorithm hasn't morphed since last month, that is)
    flyingdawg, Kalboz, rwoman and 4 others like this.
  6. airshadow
    • Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Yeah, that sneaky AlGorithm never seems to be "set in stone" does it? (that was just for you my friend)
    I would follow Gargoyle, but he'd wear me out - he's all over MP!

I did follow Randy once - into an elevator during last year's Chicago seminar. And somehow we broke it. Twice. :)
  7. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Thanks! I am a little obsessed with status. That is why I love this site.
  8. airshadow
    • Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

I'm glad you started this thread - I wasn't familiar with the follow feature. In fact, I just now figured out where it is. Learn something new every day.

Congrats on your soon-to-be-Silver!
    Jeanne23, Kalboz, rwoman and 3 others like this.
  9. Gargoyle
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Strange, sliver is showing in his points but not in the avatar display. I know Tim was playing with the templates last week, perhaps something got disabled.
    Kalboz, rwoman, YULtide and 1 other person like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Could it require the next hour? I didn't think it did before.
    Kalboz, rwoman, YULtide and 1 other person like this.
  11. airshadow
    • Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

hmmm, broken elevators, missing status ... I am some sort of MP jinx? ;)
  12. Gargoyle
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Silver has been awarded, it just isn't appearing under his avatar or in his profile.
    CharlesG, Kalboz, rwoman and 3 others like this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Yes, I saw that and I was asking whether it required another hour to appear below the avatar. Since Silver still isn't below the avatar, that does not seem to be the answr here.
    miles and smiles likes this.
  14. Gargoyle
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Traditionally there has been a one hour delay from earning the points to receiving the status, but when the status applied it appeared on all fronts simultaneously. It's failing to appear under the handle in the avatar box or profile popup.

Tim was tweaking templates last week, this template could have gotten dented.
    CharlesG and miles and smiles like this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

That coincides with my memory too. For a while a few days ago, the Original Member designations disappeared from avatars when Tim was making some tweaks to MP. I reported it in a thread in the Suggestions forum.
    CharlesG and miles and smiles like this.
  16. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

I disabled it myself, just so I could be the topic of conversation for a little longer.
  17. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Even longer it seems. You have apparently become an Active Member for the second time, perhaps currently at 250 points. This happened at the last 40.
  18. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Oh goodness... next thing you know, Randy et al will start calling us ham sandwiches or something. Or perhaps instead of "Active Member", we can be "kettle"? :D
  19. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

I just noticed that you're an active member with well over a thousand points. Is that not Silver anymore? I haven't been following the algorithm much recently, since I gave up on getting more points for posts and likes.

ADDED. I just realized that you've been around here less than three months, so that could be the explanation.
    miles and smiles and autolycus like this.
  20. airshadow
    • Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Looks like Al went drinkin' last night - all kinds of funky stuff happening :)
  21. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Details? What have you noticed?
    miles and smiles likes this.
  22. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Yup. I'm a newb around here. Had only a vague knowledge of TOBB until last fall and didn't stumble upon MP until November or December. Didn't start posting much until January. While I do try to post in other areas, the social forum has been quite entertaining and has padded my stats quite a bit. Someone's even been crazy enough to follow me!
  23. airshadow
    • Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Just specific to CharlesG - when I looked at his points a few minutes ago it showed 25 for active member and now it's 30 when I look again. Either that or I'm drinkin' Ha! :)
    miles and smiles and Gargoyle like this.
  24. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

I'm guessing that there will be changes with the official first anniversary of MP. It will be fun to see who notices them first.
    miles and smiles and CharlesG like this.
  25. sobore
    • Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Following someone is an honor, until they show up at your house
    asking where you keep the liquor and beef jerky. [​IMG]