New Award Redemption Option: MileagePlus Merchandise Awards

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by MLW20, Dec 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    • Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

2. DIG/R_1K
    • Original Member

DIG/R_1K Gold Member

You know this isn't the first time I've seen you shamelessly plug your blog on MilePoint... Just saying ...
  3. MLW20
    • Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

I do not see how you seeing me post links to my blog post is a problem. If you are not interested in the info I have to share, then don't click my links.... Just saying... :)
  4. dhammer53
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

I keep reading that MilePoint is a friendly place? Let's keep it that way.

P.S. Doesn't everyone plug their blogs??
  5. MLW20
    • Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Thank you DHammer53! That was my point! I don't think I am hurting anyone by sharing the info I post to my blog.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

I don't have one yet. You can read why on my blog. Oh, wait...
    From NYC likes this.
  7. dhammer53
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

When you do, post the link.

We all know the older bloggers (Ingy, Coins, Gary, Seth, Brian). It's only recently that I started reading Mommy Points and Darius, not to mention Ric G and some others. While there may be some overlap, they all bring a different angle to 'the game'. I'm all for continued learning. If the OP (or anyone) makes his blog interesting, it will become a stop on my evening reading tour.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Back on topic: I don't think this is a new redemption offer. I could swear I have received paper catalogs in the mail for the Mileage Plus merchandising awards. Of course, I never really bothered to look at them as the redemption value is typically terrible.

So a quick google search to confirm my memory found

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/deals/inside/2006-10-25-inside-the-deals_x.htm

"United's elite members and Mileage Plus Visa cardholders can take advantage of an exclusive redemption opportunity with Mileage Plus Merchandise Rewards. Members can redeem as few as 4,000 miles for cameras, jewelry, kitchen appliances, luggage and other products."
  9. From NYC
    • Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

On the LH flights I’ve taken, I look through their catalogue of items of things to purchase for Euro or for points. Some very impressive items are on that list. This is, of course, a separate thing from their duty free lists. Don’t know about their pricing, but there might be something out there in UA’s new catalogue that someone would want.
  10. MLW20
    • Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Interesting... I've never received a catalog of any sort from MP. I think it is nice to have the option to use miles for things other than flights but I feel that the asking price is too high to make it a worthwhile option.
  11. mauld

mauld Silver Member

I happen to like this award option, in the past CO would have auctions where you could bid on some items or buy them outright using points, but the merchandise was extremely limited. This site has lots of things to buy, and as I am sitting here with over 1mm miles and rarely use them for anything but upgrades (and this Plat is at 100% EUA this year-- so didn't use them at all), I will definately be doing some shopping. As for the 'overpriced' deal, yes I do think the point value is a bit on the high side, but then again I am not really spending any of my dollars, and the points are just sitting in my account. Also if you are elite in OP, the points needed for various items drops considerably. As an example, I'm looking at the Keurig Select Platinum Coffee Maker (retails about $199), non elite 38,900 points, elite member price 24,900 points. Yes, that 24,900 would mean I'm paying at least $249-- but to me it's free, as the points are mine, and not being used. So even after my 'shopping spree';) I'll still have over a million points, and some nice stuff that I can actually use.
    From NYC likes this.