1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

NEWBIES ONLY

Discussion in 'OWMD (oneworld MegaDO)' started by Randy Petersen, Sep 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. aabrock
    • Original Member

aabrock Silver Member

Yes, I believe that will be the case. Between RDU, CLT and the DC area I should do ok :)

2. mowogo
    • Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

I know last summer I was getting $60 a night Hyatt Place nights in RDU area (Usually either RDU airport or Raleigh North, with one stay in GSO)

3. Rob Santoro

Rob Santoro Member

If I wanted to use my Capital1 Venture card to book the charter - but payment is through PayPal - does anyone know what the charge comes through as? Would love to use the rest of my 100,000 miles Capital1 just gave me to subsidize part of the charter cost.

Also, I got Hyatt gift cards from the Capital1 miles - can I use those to pay for my rooms - or do I have to pay up front with a credit card?

Thanks!

4. harry0233
    • Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

@ Rob: you can choose your payment source when you go through Paypal.

Does anyone know the detail of AA status challenge? I will only join if I can get EXP challenge. I joined SMD3 last time and while I had a ton of fun, my wallet still hates me:(

5. jetsetr
    • Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

If you are top level elite on a non OneWorld carrier, you may challenge for EXP. 20K EQMs flown on AA metal btw 09 OCT - 13 JAN.

If you are mid-level elite on a non OneWorld carrier, you may only challenge for Platinum, 10K EQMs needed, same dates.

If you are lowest-level elite on a non OneWorld carrier, you may only challenge for Gold, 5K EQMs needed, same dates.

No fee for challenges.

6. mowogo
    • Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

They will only match you to the equivalent status of another provider. And then you have to fly 5000/10000/20000 base miles on AA to qualify for a full year of Gold/Plat/EXP.

7. harry0233
    • Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

I'm 1K with UA so I guess I'm in:D

8. harry0233
    • Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

is this EQM or EQP? I couldn't find any detail on the megado website about this

9. TelevisionTdTina

TelevisionTdTina Silver Member

I see the great opportunity for those participants who are non-AA FF to become new loyal customers. Are there any opportunities for existing to "move up" as quick?

Dcg543 likes this.
  10. mowogo
    • Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

It is EQM, and in the terms and conditions it is listed as Base Miles Earned (there is no reference to points for the challenge)

11. jetsetr
    • Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Unfortunately it does not look like existing AA or OneWorld elite or non-elite will have a "move up" challenge offered. This is clearly a play to snag elites from non oneworld competitors.

Dcg543 likes this.
  12. DCtrAAveler
    • Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

No, there don't appear to be any particular bennies for us already loyal AA/OW travelers other than the good EQM earnings on the charter itself. Slightly disappointing, but I understand the goal of wooing over elites from competitors in hopes of earning new/additional business.

Dcg543 and zpaul like this.
  13. mowogo
    • Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

They were really going hard after the opinions of competing elites at the launch party, so they are really wanting to gague interest, and I really think that the percentage of people who complete the challenge and then stay loyal to AA may have an impact on how they structure challenges in the future.

zpaul likes this.
  14. TelevisionTdTina

TelevisionTdTina Silver Member

Very disappointing... I was considering that type of perk as a great reward to those already loyal.

15. harry0233
    • Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

is the status given before or after the challenge? 20k BIS w/o status is tough:confused:

zpaul likes this.
  16. mowogo
    • Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

no clue on that yet, but as soon as I get the confirmation message on the challenge, I'm going to be booking my flight so I can get my 10K in one trip

zpaul likes this.
  17. jetsetr
    • Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

I think it's a "challenge" and not a "match," therefore my guess is no status will be confirmed until the terms of the challenge are met.

18. mowogo
    • Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

We can dream ;)

zpaul and FriendlySkies like this.
  19. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Does anyone know how travel accident insurance works with a charter? For instance, I see these terms (emphasis is mine):

Will the charter flights, and transportation to/from, be considered a "common carrier?" Or, is this something that is covered in the OWMD T&Cs?

zpaul likes this.
  20. ParanoiaTX
    • Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

The Paypal payment will not show up as travel on the Venture card, so you would have to try to convince a customer service rep that it is travel so they can flag it as such. People have managed to do that with other charges. Earlier this year it was also possible to apply points credits to a single line item multiple times, so a lesser charge (say a hotel) could be "paid" for multiple times to clear out those 100k points. I honestly don't know if they closed the loophole since I burned through my 100k using that trick very very quickly. :)
    The rooms are only held via the CC (not prepaid). Nothing is charged until you're at the hotel, so I'm sure you can work out gift card vs CC use with the front desk.

zpaul likes this.
  21. yousavvy

yousavvy Silver Member

Without a status bump for current AA elite members,,, I may not be able to pull the trigger on this. I do really want the behind the scene look, but I was justifying this trip based on the elite status bump I thought was coming... I already have a Hyatt Diamond challenge that I'll complete and get Diamond until feb 2013. I am going to make Platinum, but NOT EXP this year :( The bump to EXP from platinum was my justification,,,, now it's a hard deal to swallow since I can get the eqm's on a mile run cheaper..

I think AA missed the beat here.... they should celebrate current loyalist... this is a celebration of oneworld... now it kind of seems like a marketing piece to pull other elites from alternate airlines....

we'll see tomorrow,,, I may still pull the trigger...

Dcg543, zpaul and DCtrAAveler like this.
  22. mowogo
    • Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Remember the swag. Like for the launch party, Hyatt gave all attendees $100 bathrobes, and AA had some interesting giveaways

zpaul likes this.
  23. DestinationDavid
    • Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

I ended up giving the bathrobe to someone at the Four Points Sheraton LAX. My luggage just could not accommodate it. :(

24. mowogo
    • Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

That is what the extra bag is for :p

Dcg543, FlyIce and zpaul like this.
  25. DestinationDavid
    • Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

I was headed through LHR and IST, didn't want to be carrying 3 bags....

zpaul likes this.