NRT MR and a couple of days in Japan suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Asia' started by msv, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

• Original Member

msv Gold Member

With the nifty fares I see quite a few people will be doing a MR to Japan soon (including me[​IMG]). I'm thinking about spending one night near the airport (to recover) and one day in Tokyo (I'm doing this twice[​IMG]). I'd love to hear your suggestions about economical ways to enjoy my visits.
    • Is the train or bus the best bet from NRT to Tokyo (weekday arrival)?
    • Can you do tours from hotels near the airport that get you downtown for the public transportation challenged?
    • If you have 48 hours in this city what would be the biggest must do?
    JALPak and TrueBlueFlyer like this.
    • Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Well, take some time to visit the big Naritasan temple complex right in downtown Narita. There's a loop shuttle bus that calls at the hotels that will take you to the temple, the station downtown, and also one of the big shopping centers in Narita city.

The temple is stunning; it amazes me how many thousands (millions?) of people probably transit NRT not even knowing this amazing attraction is literally minutes from the airport.

All you'd ever want to know about Narita stopovers: http://www.mgnewman.com/Naritax/
    JALPak, HiIslands and Chamonix like this.
    • Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

The train is faster and I find it more comfortable than the bus.

However, the bus calls at many Hotels in Tokyo while the train would simply take you to one of the railway stations in Tokyo. So if not staying in Tokyo, I would take the train.
    JALPak likes this.
    • Original Member

DoubleJ Gold Member

If you have luggage and plan to stay in one of the hotels served by one of the limosine bus routes, or just want to sit back and relax, then I would use the bus. If you just have a carryon, and are looking to experience Tokyo a little more, then one of the airport express trains (N'EX or Skyliner) will get you into Tokyo more quickly. Just be aware that since you are arriving on a weekday, the train/subway lines in Tokyo can be quite crowded during the morning and evening rush periods.
    JALPak and cockpitvisit like this.
    • Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Train, no and SUSHI!

Seriously, Tsukiji market is one of the more amazing experiences I've had. I did a 48 hour run 2 years ago (and I'm going again the last weekend in March) and it is a great amount of time to visit Tokyo.

Go to the market early and wander the stalls. Go into the tuna auction if it is open (they close it to tourists from time to time). Eat sushi in one of the stalls on the outskirts. It is cheap and it is good. Head to the Imperial Palace and to Shibuya. Very different experiences but both very Tokyo. Find a temple or three to visit. There are many of them and the experience is worthwhile.

Oh, and did I mention the sushi? Don't be scared away by the idea that it is terribly expensive and hard to do. Show up, point and enjoy!
    JALPak, k2o, aabrock and 1 other person like this.
    • Original Member

msv Gold Member

I'll be there the last weekend in March as well. Was thinking about one trip focusing on the Narita area and the second trip staying in Tokyo. I've had sardines and ancohovies so I'm not sure if that qualifies as sushi but I'm not really keen on eating fish. Perhaps I will get brave this time.
    JALPak likes this.
    • Original Member

msv Gold Member

I'll have carryon luggage my second trip will be on a weekend so perhaps I'll try both ways depending on my timing.
    JALPak likes this.
    • Original Member

msv Gold Member

This really sounds great and I certainly will do it!
    JALPak likes this.
    • Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Naritasan is nice but you should spend some time in TOkyo as well to experience the hustle and bustle. Just go to Shibuya station (served by many train and subway lines) and wonder around. Great to get a feel for the place. Other places worth visiting are Harajuku, Shinjuku, Ginza (close to Tsukiji fish market) and the shita-machi areas (some nice pre-war buildings that survived the war and old neigborhoods) like Yanaka. Google the places and decide on your interests. If you need more advice PM me. I have lived in Japan for many years.
    JALPak likes this.
    • Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

I'd love to read trip reports from these MR's as I booked a weekend stop over via NRT for October
    JALPak and msv like this.
    • Original Member

msv Gold Member

Thanks - will remember this post especially if I get lost!! I certainly do want to wander around downtown Toyko so hope I can swing a free night at the Conrad.
    JALPak likes this.
    • Original Member

msv Gold Member

Was hoping perhaps some cherry blossoms might be peaking out near the end of March too.
    JALPak likes this.
    • Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

The Conrad is very nice, burned my last hilton points there.
    JALPak likes this.
    • Original Member

msv Gold Member

I had to scramble to undo a domestic reward so should have enough after the next credit card statement.
    JALPak likes this.
    • Original Member

Probably a rather large step up from where I stayed last time:
    [​IMG]

Yes, I slept in a plywood box. Actually surprisingly comfortable and incredibly cheap. :D
    744, JALPak, k2o and 5 others like this.
    • Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

is that top view or side view?
    indoor or outdoor?
    JALPak likes this.
    • Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

How were the amenities and service?
    JALPak likes this.
    • Original Member

msv Gold Member

Oh my gawd. Is that beer on the shelf??
    JALPak and KIXman like this.
    • Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Plywood.. damn that's the luxury-version for sure, I slept in a plastic box :D
    DSC00465.JPG
    cockpitvisit, JALPak and KIXman like this.
    • Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Was that you sleeping in the underpass?
    [​IMG]
    Good upbringing - didn't forget to take off the shoes before going to bed! Your mother should be proud of you :D
    744, weegiewife, JALPak and 1 other person like this.
    • Original Member

torbster Silver Member

just fyi msv, for the fish market you should go really early.. like 5 am.. definately the best time to be there, when the boats come in, if your jetlag allows for it :D

also, the best sushi is usually at places close to the sea, the fresher the fish - the better the sushi!

for sumo-wrestling, if it's outside the season for comps, with a little charm you might be able to get in to watch them at their training-stables ;)

also other great dishes I tried were okonomiyaki (big pancake with lots of stuff) and sukiyaki (noodles, beef dipped in raw egg) which I think is the national dish)).. and the best beef in the world, the kobe beef, it's simply amazing!

finish the day with a little drunken karaoke and your all set :D
    cockpitvisit likes this.
    • Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

For those crazy "only in Japan" experiences in Tokyo, probably:

1) Tsukiji Fish Market (though you say you're not a fish eater, and it's a pain to get out there so early in the morning)
    2) Akihabara (nothing like walking around in the early evening looking at electronics, then going into the crazy anime store and finishing off wondering what the hell is going on at a "maid cafe").
    3) Harajuku, and Shibuya (a look at the constantly changing fashion styles of Japanese youth, also has a ton of street life with music and other stuff).
    4) Imperial Palace, Shitamachi (for more historical culture). Also the Tokyo museum.
    5) If you're ambitious, you can take day trips out to Nikko, Mt. Fuji and Kamakura. Nikko is worth the trip, as is Kamakura. Mt. Fuji is a good climb, which you can take a bus, arrive in the early evening, start climbing, and reach the summit by sunrise. Depends on how much you want to do.
    Bonnie, IDGflygirl and JALPak like this.
    • Original Member

Indoor. That is the view from the head of the bed looking towards the feet.
    Yup. Only one was mine. ;)
    Actually darn nice considering that I paid $30/night for the bed.
    JALPak likes this.
    • Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

I would really like to jump on these deals also. Are the Japan MR deals mostly on AA? I've seen some good fares posted for AA, but I'm wondering if other airlines have matched those offers.
    JALPak likes this.
    • Original Member

msv Gold Member

CO and DL have them too. I'm doing one flight on CO and another on AA (this is one of the reasons I never seem to have status on any carrier)[​IMG] From what I've seen is they end on Mar 31st.
    Sarah and JALPak like this.