1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Pet Friendly HIlton Properties?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Abby, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Abby
    • Original Member

Abby Silver Member

This may sound silly, but.... [​IMG]

Does anyone know if there is a list of Hilton properties (Hampton Inns are fine) that allow pets in the US/Canada? Looking at the Hilton web site, all I see is that it is up to the individual hotel. I'm fine with that, but has anyone compiled a list, by any chance?

I have to do a fairly long road trip with a cat and would prefer to accumulate HHonors points rather than Choice or whatever, but it's tedious to go to the individual web sites for each hotel along a possible route just to see if they allow pets at all.

2. gemac
    • Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Doubletree has a list of its 82 pet-friendly hotels.

http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/...4&007=Search&merch_urlid=94713817&002=2137956

u600213 likes this.
  3. Abby
    • Original Member

Abby Silver Member

Thanks! That's not a bad start, as a few of those might work.

4. gemac
    • Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Some of the other brands may have a list as well - Doubletree was the first one I googled, skipped Hilton since you had already checked them out.

5. deant
    • Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Hate to sound negative, but my wife is very allergic to dogs and cats. Hate it when a hotel is "pet friendly" and does not specify specific rooms for people with pets.

charlilo and servus like this.
  6. u600213
    • Original Member

u600213 Silver Member

Thanks for the list link. Before reserving any "pet friendly" hotel, I suggest checking with the individual property on specifics. Some have a one pet per room policy, others have a maximum weight limit for the pet. Because I have 2 large dogs, we often wind up at Best Western, Motel 6 or a non-chain with less restrictive policies when the dogs come with.

7. Abby
    • Original Member

Abby Silver Member

I am sympathetic to this, actually.

8. Abby
    • Original Member

Abby Silver Member

I think it would be tough travelling with large dogs. I only have one small cat but I'm sure he'll be a handful. [​IMG]

I see the new Home2 Suites by Hilton chain seems to be entirely Pet Friendly, although they charge $75 per animal!

They only have a couple of locations currently, but they are planning on opening in quite a few areas.

9. gobears86
    • Original Member

gobears86 Active Member

I found the list below but I'm not sure how accurate it still is

http://www.tripswithpets.com/pet_friendly_hotel_chains.asp

We did stay last year at the Embassy Suites Napa (on the list) with our husky. Called the hotel directly to ensure that they accepted dogs (they had special rooms set aside for them). We brought our dog down to the breakfast area/happy hour area during meal times and there were no problems. He happily snagged some sausages/bacon that we would feed him. We just had to make sure he didn't get any ideas about going after the swans that they have roaming on the grounds.

Also at the end of the stay, they didn't charge us the $75 (we expected it but they waived it) which was appreciated

10. tommy777
    • Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

I don't find Hilton properties pet friendly at all as they are charging up to 100 USD a night for your pet to stay with you in the room. That's pretty far from pet friendly in my book. As an example, I stayed at a Doubletree that was 66 bucks a night. The pet fee was 75.. :rolleyes

11. tommy777
    • Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

12. BeachMiles
    • Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

There is not always a Starwood property around. I can always find a Hilton Property in the USA.

Horse likes this.
  13. German Expat
    • Original Member

German Expat Silver Member

I don't think Hampton has a consistent policy. When we moved to Colorado I drove one of our cars and had the dog with me. I called several Hampton's on the way for my night stop and 1 out of 3 properties allowed a dog in the room (ours is a small dog, around 18 pounds). It was an older Motel style property, the newer property in the same town did not allow them. It was free.
    I would suggest you just call the property itself and ask about their policy.
    I do feel for people with allergies and the chains should dedicate pet rooms so people with allergies can be kept away from them.

14. gemac
    • Original Member

gemac Silver Member

The OP asked about Hilton properties. It's possible she collects Hilton points, and would prefer to stay at Hilton properties.

There is an extra cost to the property to allow pets. Most pet owners will be responsible and prevent their pets from doing damage, but not all. Some pet owners won't even clean up after their pet.

How much would you charge me to use your spare bedroom for a night? Would that number change if I told you there was a significant chance that I would take a dump in your living room and mark my territory in your spare bedroom? :D

15. tommy777
    • Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

How is it an extra cost to the property to allow pets? The property vacuum and cleans the rooms daily. If you're truly pet friendly (like some chains truly are), you will charge a deposit and charge for the cleaning for the people who are not responsible. Voila, no cost, actually a gain as you will attract customers who appreciate real pet friendly properties.

Also, there's no way I would defend a pet policy that in some cases charges more than the price of the room itself.

16. deant
    • Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Remember that there are people who are allergic to dogs and cats and a normal vacuuming will not get the job done. If the hotel has separate rooms then you are looking at reduced occupancy rates for that room.

In theory, when there is a pet in the room, the cleaning crew should do significantly more cleaning than normal. For example, vacuum all sofas, chairs etc. Clean the bottom of drapes where the pet may have been against. Also clean the duvet - because the pet may lay on the bed.

This costs the hotel money because the cleaning crew can not clean as many rooms as normal.

Also you mention a "gain" from customers who "appreciate real pet friendly properties". Due to my wife's allergies, we will try and avoid those hotels at all cost. Her health is more important than loyalty to a specific hotel chain. I am sure that there are numerous people like us - so I assume that this would offset the "gain" that you are talking about.

charlilo and gemac like this.
  17. gemac
    • Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Small pets have been known to urinate or deficate under the bed. Housekeeping uses cleaning products with a strong "fresh" odor, so may not notice. In most hotels today, housekeeping is under a lot of pressure to get rooms cleaned upon checkout and back into inventory. Of course, the next guest will probably notice, but in that case it may be too late to recover from the prior guest, who could easily take the position that since it wasn't noticed right away, it could easily be the pet of some guest from the past.

This has been a difficult two years for people in the hotel/motel industry. They are looking for any way possible to increase revenues. They are not turning away business that they believe to be profitable. They will turn away business that they think is unprofitable. Since some allow pets and some do not, it appears fair to say that there is disagreement among industry professionals as to the profitability of this business segment. It seems reasonable then that there would be a similar disagreement among informed outsiders like ourselves.

18. BeachMiles
    • Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

When my son was younger he use to pull that trick.

Horse, sc801 and gemac like this.
  19. BeachMiles
    • Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

OP has asked for a list. The Doubletree and Hilton lists above are helpful, but not complete. If it does not already exist, perhaps we could start a thread with Individual Hilton Properties , that are pet friendly.

Horse likes this.
  20. charlilo
    • Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

I would very much appreciate such a list in order to avoid pet friendly Hilton Properties, since I suffer from severe asthma due to pet allergies. The only way for me to travel safely is to clearly know which hotels are pet friendly.

21. pokerhammy
    • Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

That sounds really good...is there an official policy for that? But W hotels has a hefty charge: Please be advised that the room rate with a pet is $25 above the room charge plus a non-refundable $100 cleaning fee. We allow only one pet per room at no more than 40lbs. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/experience/services/detail.html?service=PAW

22. BeachMiles
    • Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

You cannot avoid the pets that easily. Just like you cannot guarantee someone wasn't smoking in your non-smoking room the morning before you checked in. At least if they are charging a $75 pet fee per stay, they can justify giving the carpet a good cleaning.

23. charlilo
    • Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

I think you do not understand how bad can be some pet allergies. It can be as bad as nuts allergies for some people, but less frequent so... less spectacular. I am an asthmatic non smoker, but I could suffer a smoker's room for a few nights, by taking two or three puffs of medication. The cleaning and the medication cannot help in cats and dogs severe allergies for some people. My mother died from that. It is not a pet fee thing.

24. BeachMiles
    • Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

With all due respect to Charlilo and her allergies, those of us who do travel with our well behaved pets should not be discouraged from having a discussion. If a Hilton property welcomes pets, we should be able to exchange ideas.
    If the topic was "Best Hilton Lounge" . we would not be silenced , because someone pointed out the health risks associated with excess drinking.

25. sc801
    • Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

I agree. If you are allergic to animal dander, then it is very easy to avoid those hotels which do allow pets.

I just wish it were a consistent property across the chains. We have stayed at the Hilton in downtown Savannah which allows pets.... while the Hampton Inn in Charleston did not (I think it used to but then changed its policy). Last week-end we were staying at a HI Express in West Virginia - a realtively new property with the little pooch in the avatar. There were at least seven or eight other dogs at the property. But next week-end, we are off to Atlanta Motor Speedway and I can't find any of my preferred loyalty chains that allow dogs (SPG or PC).... which is a real bummer. So, consistency would be nice.

BeachMiles likes this.