Pregnant Travelers

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by lesley, Feb 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lesley New Member

Does anyone know of an airline ...any airline in the world...that does anything nice or helpful or in any way some extra for pregnant travelers?
    • Original Member

DAS02135 Silver Member

I don't know of one that has a policy about it, but I've often seen Continental flight crew members on the BOS-IAH route go out of their way to check in on late term (i.e., clearly showing) travelers.
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

NO, but I understand that airlines have rules regarding the need for a doctor's note and how late in the pregnancy one can fly.
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Welcome to MP, lesley!
    miles and smiles likes this.
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Welcome to MilePoint lesley!

Back in November 2010, we flew to SE Asia on CX and my wife was 6 months pregnant and we returned mostly on JL when she was 7 months pregnant ... other than the booked business class, she did not get anything extra!
    [​IMG]
    JL062​
    • Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Hello and welcome to MP!

I have not heard about any certain policies regarding that, but I am sure you would get preferential treatment by air hostesses if they are friendly in the first place. Just remember that you will need to be fit for travel as a lot of airlines have restrictions on flying pregnant women. Happy flying.
    Gargoyle likes this.
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Preferential treatment? What and why? I would think that getting bulkhead seats assigned at the gate as being marginally medically necessary would be about the limit. As a FF who is not pregnant, I would hope that pregnant people do not get preferential treatment by airlines.
    javacodeguy likes this.
  2. mommypoints Gold Member

I flew Southwest at 8 months pregnant and people just stared as I lifted my bags into the overhead bins. No special treatment, just more people staring. ;)
    Gargoyle and Kalboz like this.
    • Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

You're telling me you want a pregnant woman to try and put a carry on bag in the overhead compartment without any aid? I am not talking about preferential in terms of upgrades and super meals, but to be given assistance needed and to be checked on a tad more than normal. Although you would most likely want the preferential treatment to be yours for holding whatever status, some sympathy and respect to others can go a long way. If your idea of being a frequent traveler involves not taking others into consideration when they are in need, I do not think I want to be associated with that.
    Traveller and Gargoyle like this.
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

See the post right above yours. :D

Personally (and writing this as a male), I think part of an FA's job description/responsibility should be to assist people with stowing their carry-on luggage if they are unable to do so themselves (unattended minor, too short, too old, too pregnant, vision impaired, ...). This also means that injuries due to this task should be covered as work-related injuries (*). That is apparently today not the case (for all airlines? some? I don't know), which is why some flight attendants refuse to assist. Of course, if someone expects help storing a bag, the bag should also be of reasonable weight. I have helped elderly people store their bags and they weighed way more than I thought was reasonable, and I wouldn't really blame FAs for refusing to do over and over again without being covered in case of injury.

(*) one difficulty with this might be that it's probably hard to tell if a back injury is due to repeated lifting of bags into the overhead compartment or horsing around with the kids at home on the weekend.
    Gargoyle and CharlesG like this.
  3. CharlesG Gold Member

Unfortunately, I don't think the OP can expect any preferential treatment on any airline. I would think for any passenger, if your bag is too difficult to manage yourself (putting in the overhead bin, etc) you should probably engage the assistance of a skycap or something like that and check the bag. Really, I think the elderly should do this too-- all too often I have seen FAs refuse to lift bags for precisely the reasons HMWT has pointed out above, and that leaves people at the mercy of strangers. Before I had spine surgery, I either only traveled with a bag I knew I could manage on the plane, or checked it. In almost every case there will be another passenger who will help a clearly pregnant (or elderly) passenger with something simple like lifting a bag, but certainly nothing should be expected. Or at least I've never seen it.

By the way, this si not to place a judgment on whether or not she should expect anything or not (that's not the reason for her post) but whether or not I think it is likely that she will receive preferential treatment based on my experiences.
    • Original Member

viguera Gold Member

My wife did some traveling while pregnant not that long ago (our son is almost 2 now) and while I can't say she received any preferential treatment, there was always the inevitable questions from interested (obviously female) passengers and FAs: how far along are you, is it a boy or a girl, etc.

I think once you get to a certain point in the pregnancy though, it's necessary for them to pay the passenger more attention -- not necessarily anything special. A "very pregnant" passenger for example might have problems with the emergency exit, or depending on how far along they are could be an issue -- say if the baby decides it wants to be born mid-flight.

I think it's common decency to pay some people some extra level of attention though, and they probably do it and are happy about it. I don't think that anybody would object to a pregnant woman getting an extra visit from an FA to ask if everything is ok or even moving them to an otherwise unoccupied seat with more legroom. Anybody that has a problem with that would probably get all sorts of dirty looks from fellow passengers, so you might wanna keep that to yourself. :)
  4. NYCAdventurer Gold Member

I would assume they would get you a wheelchair if requested and allow you to board early. Ask and thou shall receive.
    SC Flier and miles and smiles like this.
  5. wrxmom Gold Member

Wholeheartedly agree. Hate getting knocked in the shoulder by someone who can barely lift their 50+ pound carryon that they refused to check. And no, you can't tell how heavy a bag is until it's too late and you're already gotten whacked with it.
    CharlesG likes this.
    • Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

The thing to keep in mind is that many airlines have rules about women flying in their third trimester. Some require a doctor's note; others won't let you fly at all. I would double-check the rules and also with your doctor to be on the safe side. Happy flying! :)
    CharlesG and miles and smiles like this.
  6. particlemn Silver Member

You might try WINAIR not to be confused with southwest, In 04 we took winair to St Barths, and reading the inflight pamphlet( its a 15 minute flight with windows that can open) there was an article about winair letting a pregent woman give birth on one of their planes.(well letting might be an overstatement) I think that counts as something special.
  7. CharlesG Gold Member

Having been on a Winair flight, I don't think I would really recommend giving birth on one of their planes! Giving birth in St. Barths, however, would probably be lovely.
    SC Flier and mattsteg like this.
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

That is not specific to FA's, it applies to a wide range of jobs. Insurance companies have been known to fight tooth and nail against payouts on workmans comp cases.
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Workers' comp (note it's no longer called workman's comp) is experience rated so more paid claims ultimately cost the employer more.
    • Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

8. zhaoqian New Member

Just remember that you will need to be fit for travel as a lot of airlines have restrictions on flying pregnant women. Happy flying
    • Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Route network is a bit limited, unfortunately.
  9. Up&Away Silver Member

I've flown while pregnant and since the kids have been born. In some instances I've been helped out in small ways to make our trip easier (checking luggage at no charge at the gate because it was a full flight and we had our hands full) and a few times we've been treated rudely (a GA in LAS reemed me because she didn't feel we had brought our strollers to be gate checked at the appropriate time). I would say you have the same chance of special treatment as you would anywhere else -- if there's something someone can help out with and they're in the mood to do so, they will -- but don't necessarily expect anything.
    perryplatypus likes this.