Purchased 2 RT tickets to Korea via UA website in July, but now I found cheaper tickets on UA site.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by freebird, Aug 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. freebird

freebird Silver Member

I recently checked the price of same tickets on UA website and found lower price RT tickets. Is there a way to get a refund and purchase the lower price tickets?
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

What's the difference in price? They presumably still offer to refare it, but will charge the change fee (or was it a fixed refare fee of $150?) per ticket.
  3. freebird

freebird Silver Member

I believe it was $125 per ticket. So, if it is $150 to change tickets than there's no point. I'll keep checking the price and maybe the price will go down even more.
  4. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

I've recently had a CSR at UA tell me that they are willing to refund the difference with a travel voucher if the price drops within 30 days of purchase. I would say its worth a shot to call and ask. I can't find anything official about that policy on the UA website, so YMMV.

For me, it was in conjunction with a schedule change among other things, and of course it was 33 days since I had purchased the ticket.
  5. sobore
    • Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Are the B type vouchers a thing of the past? I remember this being an easy process on the lowest of economy fares.
  6. freebird

freebird Silver Member

I called, and they said, since it's been more than thirty days (45 days to be exact) I have to pay $200. I asked (nicely) since this is my first time making such request if they can waive the fees. They said no because my "ticket level/class is too low." I believe my tickets are L level/class.
    I'm so glad I joined/found MP forum.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Refunding the price difference was a very easy process on united.com (the old united.com) until the bloggers Yapta killed it.
    sobore likes this.
  8. gobluetwo
    • Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

I want to say they did away with this practice in 2011. As of 2010, I was still able to request the difference for a fare that had gone down $60 with no fees. The way they did it in the past was to send the vouchers in the amount of the fare difference for each of the ticketed passengers, and you'd then have 12 months to apply them to new travel. The trick, though, was that you'd have to mail it in to their service center in Detroit (I think), although the turnaround time was pretty good (about a week, I think). I even once got a fare difference of $19 :)
  9. unavaca
    • Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

They killed this in 2011 thanks to the bloggers and Yapta. Refare is now the same as the change fee, which is usually $250 per ticket on TPAC Economy tickets.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

You could also get it refunded to the original credit card, which I did a few times. I didn't actually refare that often, but I did save a couple hundred dollars overall.