1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Kalboz, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

The hotel consists of 22 floors with indoor swimming pool on its top 23rd floor. The same building also houses additional floors of private condo residences that are not connected to the hotel and located on floors above the pool's floor.
    [​IMG]
    The Renaissance Bangkok is a beautiful Design hotel with all the amenities a 5 star property has to offer. You instantly feel its modern vibes as you enter: the lighting, décor, furnishings, smells and the tunes. Even its elevators are spiffy with leather-bound walls, computer screens and cool ambient music. Yet the most distinct feature throughout the hotel is the Cassia Fistula motif, Thailand’s national flower. This is a great property and I highly recommend it. We paid less than $100/night (THB 2,950 ai) and as a Marriott Rewards Gold tier member, we got an upgrade to a Renaissance Suite, access to the lounge, breakfast at buffet downstairs, laundry, etc. Booked for 3 nights and checked in on the afternoon of 11/29/2010, and we had a 4 PM late checkout.
    [​IMG]
    Room: The Renaissance Suite has the Wow factor especially the bathroom! we were very impressed by its spacious 62 SQM size, and its colorful yet luxuriously classy furnishings. The suite features marble tiled entrance, white oak floor and blond Tanganyika wood furniture. Infused with Southeast Asian style, the suite is classically designed in warm, vibrant colors and feature oversized windows and glass enclosed bathrooms. This fantastic room was full of light with a view facing Chitlom Central. It was a great place for the family to relax with a bed area with a huge flat screen TV, sitting area and work desk with jack pack. There is also a comfortable chair with coffee table next to the huge windows. The king bed was clean and comfortable with plenty of pillows. All furnishings were of high quality wood and other materials. The floor was a mix of artfully designed rugs and wooden floors. The bathroom was impeccable with tile, glass, and marble floor and walls and separate tub and a spacious shower glass enclosure with city views. Fancy toiletries and plenty of quality towels and a baby bathroom kit were provided daily. The suite had a walk-in closet.

Service: was impeccable by front desk, housekeeping, restaurants, and lounge staff. Nightly turn down services was performed. We requested a baby cot for our toddler son and it was provided promptly. Taxi cabs were summoned when needed to the hotel’s front door. Concierge recommended going to SanamLuangPark to observe the king’s birthday. Staff were very friendly , courteous, and responsive to all our requests especially Khun Panida at the Lounge (she used to work at the JW Marriott's lounge).
    [​IMG]
    Food: Breakfast was included in our room rate and we partook every morning at Flavors Restaurant on the second floor. The excellent breakfast spread was awesome and typical of breakfast buffet found at many 5-star hotels in Bangkok. We also were served teatime drinks and pastries between 3-5 PM daily, and happy hours cocktails and food at the lounge between 6-8 PM nightly. The lounge also served beverages and snacks throughout the day (6 AM - 11 PM). Great food at both outlets but for lack of time, we did not try the other restaurants (Italian and Chinese).
    [​IMG]
    The indoor pool is on the hotel’s top floor with awesome views of the city. The spa which is on the same floor is nice and has cozy feeling. The Spa staff is very hospitable as they served me some good warm lemongrass tea when I stopped by to review their service menu. There is also a gym with exercise machines on this top floor.
    [​IMG]
    Location: is excellent as the Chitlom BTS station is right outside the hotel parking entrance and Siam Paragon is the next BTS station over. Also, the hotel is situated across the street from Central Chitlom and its famous “Food Loft” foodcourt mentioned in the New York Times’ Travel Section. The hotel is within walking distance to Erawan, Gaysorn, and CentralWorld. There are many shops (groceries, currency exchange booths, 7-11, Starbucks, etc.) within 2-minutes walking outside the hotel.

We've had well over 110 nights at the JW Marriott Bangkok in just the past few years but from now on this hotel will be our home in town … we will be back!

See our photo set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157623281787891/

Chimpy, uggboy, doc and 1 other person like this.
  2. klrsmith

klrsmith Active Member

doc and Kalboz like this.
  3. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Here's more:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/quote]

Chimpy, uggboy, doc and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

5. CrankyScott
    • Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

As always, Kalboz has given an excellent review!

I have passed by the Renaissance many times and had wanted to stay, but the rates were always so high and I opted for the less expensive Marriott Courtyard around the corner.

After reading this review - I will have to try harder to make a stay at the Renaissance!

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  6. SwampFox

SwampFox Member

What was the executive lounge like? The pool looked great, but the water was frigid. Gym was nice, except the locker room was tiny. good location for shopping. Breakfast had a nice selection of items, but the tables arrangement seemed odd to me.

7. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Just as good as the JW's in terms of service but on a smaller scale and without an outside porch. Located at the 21st floor with sweeping views of Bangkok, it has plenty of seating with tables and chairs, plush sofas on the window sides, and 2-3 wide-screen computer terminals.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Glossy, stylish design with dark colors and yet full of light, this lounge servs the following to Marriott Rewards Golds, Plats, and guests who pay Club rate (Club Room and Studio Suite rates are inclusive of access to Club Lounge):
    • Breakfast 6-10 AM (you can also partake breakfast at Flavors Restaurant)
    • Tea time with baked goods 3-5 PM
    • Happy hour with coctails andf canapés and appetizers to make a small meal 6-8 PM
    • Coffee, tea, sodas, juices, water thoughout the day
    • Various bakes goods and fruits throughout the day
    • WIFI and computer terminals
    • 3-pieces of laundry daily
    [​IMG]

uggboy and Chimpy like this.
  8. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Another take on the Renaissance, this time from The Nation
    [​IMG]

uggboy and Chimpy like this.
  9. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong is going for around $70/night plus fees ($12/night) for the first two weeks of January at Priceline's Hotels' published rates section and not the bidding section. Lowest published rate on Marriott.com for the same dates is around $142++/night ... might qualify for LNF :) (Marriott version of BRG).

uggboy likes this.
  10. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

My girlfriend and I will be in Bangkok for just one night in two weeks (between Siem Reap and Phuket).

For your first time in Bangkok, having the choice between both the JW and the Renaissance, what would you choose?

11. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Depends on your age range, status with Marriott, and what you two like to do during that one night in Bangkok ;)

The two properties are about a mile or so from each other. And although both are awesome properties, the new Ren is very trendy and polished. I found the service and facilities are more comprehensive at the JW. More formal shopping and dining options around the Ren (Central Chitlom, CentralWorld, Siam, Ratchaprasong intersection, BigC, etc.). The Sukhumvit night market is just outside the JW which also has its own great dining options (Japanese, Chinese, Steakhouse, Thai, etc.). Nightlife is also much more prevalent near the JW.

uggboy likes this.
  12. jpripcord

jpripcord Silver Member

Thanks for the advice! We are 27, I am a platinum guest, and we're looking for a good mix of sightseeing during the day, and a little action ;) at night.

Both seem like great properties, so I'm a bit torn (but also realistic that there really isn't a bad choice).

13. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Agreed, both are good properties & there won't be a bad choice but the JW Marriott will be a good choice for you two.

Enjoy your stay! :)

uggboy likes this.
  14. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

For those of you having a hard time with the FD due to your LNF rate, write the GM directly: MARK VAN DER WIELEN | GENERAL MANAGER mark.wielen@renaissancehotels.com Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel

uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  15. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

I am here now on a 3-night stay and checked in this afternoon (January 9th). Was upgraded to a huge 775 SQFT executive suite on the same floor as the lounge (# 21XX).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The lounge has now many premium brand alcoholic beverages including JW-Black Label during open bar happy hours which is 4:30 PM-8:30 PM. Other great benefits are provided such as 15-minutes head and shoulder message per person per stay.

Attached Files:

cennas and uggboy like this.
  16. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Renaissance Bangkok lounge breakfast:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cennas and uggboy like this.
  17. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

uggboy likes this.
  18. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

[​IMG]
    Greetings from the Renaissance Bangkok ... the 8-days sale will end tomorrow!

TRAVELSIG and uggboy like this.
  19. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Some excellent sales in general at the moment in Bangkok! Ranging from the Peninsula to specials you can find on agoda, wotif or similar- really excellent values.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  20. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Another plug for Renaissance Ratchaprasong: 5 Star Bangkok Hotel Wins 3 TripAdvisor Traveler's Choice Awards
    [​IMG]

AaronInBKK and uggboy like this.
  21. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Currently here for a week ... any questions? Feel free to ask! :)
    [​IMG]

TRAVELSIG and uggboy like this.
  22. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

What do they charge for Internet kal if you are not a gold/plat member?

Kalboz likes this.
  23. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

TRAVELSIG and iolaire like this.
  24. HLC

HLC Silver Member

That's a nice room, Kal! Obviously not your standard room there...what is is? And how much, if I may ask...

Kalboz likes this.
  25. AaronInBKK

AaronInBKK Active Member

I may be wrong, butI think it is a Studio Suite. :)

Kalboz likes this.