1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Six Nights in Bangkok ...

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

First trip to Bangkok is coming up soon. We're staying at the GH Erawan (Diamond upgrade to Grand Suite confirmed with 2010 upgrade). Now I am putting together a plan for our sightseeing/excursion and would welcome any suggestions (from several other useful threads I have seen there many experienced BKK travelers here).

I am thinking of doing a day trip by train to the Bridge on the River Kwai. Seems to be much cheaper than the assorted tours offered online. Any reason not to do that? I think I can read up on the history myself, i.e., don't necessarily need a guide, and the ride seems to be a simple roundtrip doable in a day.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have to offer (and yes, I have a big fat Lonely Planet book that I'll review, too).

Sarah likes this.
  2. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Unless you are a WWII buff, I'd skip Kantchanaburi altogether ... it's a waste of a valuable day. Instead, I'd do the following but not necessarily in this order:

Day One: Grand Palace, Wat Phra Kaew (the Emerald Buddha), and Wat Pho. Wat Pho is the largest and most impressive temple in Bangkok, famed for its huge gold-plated reclining Buddha measuring about 50 meters long. Wat Pho is also Bangkok's main training center for masseuses. Thai massage at Wat Pho is a must while you're in Bangkok. Cost is about 120 baht for half an hour or 200 baht per hour. For dinner Sirocco or Vertigo.
    [​IMG]
    Day Two: Damnoen Saduak Floating Market in Ratchaburi followed by Samphran Elephant Ground which has elephant rides and theme shows, crocodile wrestling show, and a zoo. Late lunch at Rose Gardens with cultural shows. Dinner and show at Calypso Ladyboy Cabaret.
    [​IMG]
    Day Three: Chaophraya River and Khlong tour by long tail speed boat. Visit also Thonburi Khlongs, Wat Arun, and the Royal Barges Museum. Visit the Golden Buddha temple around 4 PM and then have dinner at Yaowarat Road in Chinatown.
    [​IMG]
    Day Four: Do the mega shopping malls of Siam Paragon, CentralWorld Plaza, MBK, and the other urban shopping centers. Fit the Erawan Shrine into your schedule, it is located at the Ratchaprasong intersection by the Grand Hyatt Erawan. In the evening go see the Siam Niramit folklore show.

Day Five: Visit the golden teak Vinmanmek Mansion and other Dusit area palaces and gardens. In late afternoon, visit Jim Thompson House and his main store on Suriwongse Rd. or one of his outlets (on Sukhumvit 101?) to shop for quality Thai silk items at bargain prices. Have dinner at Sukhumvit or one of its sois.
    [​IMG]
    Day Six: Chatuchak weekend market in the morning. A tuk-tuk ride anywhere in the afternoon, but preferably in the Banglamphu/Ratanakosan area to see the Marble Temple (Wat Ben). Have dinner there off Thanon Tanao.
    [​IMG]

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Thanks for taking the time and answering in such great detail with nice photos. Very helpful.

I do "like" WW2 history (or history in general, I suppose), and I also like train travel through foreign countries, so I figured it might be a nice change of pace from the city to take the train out to the bridge and back.

4. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

You are very welcome ... to each his own I guess :) the train trip on its own is very nice ... you will enjoy it all. During this trip, do visit the tiger temple and the Erawan Falls, in addition, of course, to the railroad, the bridge, and the allied cemetary.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plato90s and Sarah like this.
  5. Sarah
    • Original Member

Sarah Silver Member

Another option for a longish trip involving a train would be Ayutthaya, which was Thailand capital from the mid-14th century to 1767 before it moved to Bangkok. The train ride is less than an hour and a half I don't have easy access to pictures like Kalboz, but there are some pictures in the Thailand photo thread he has posted. Certainly worth a visit if you are at all interested in history/archeology.

Kalboz and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. piqaro
    • Original Member

piqaro Silver Member

I have managed about 6 months in Thailand over the last 10 years, about half for work.
    Its always great. Last time was July, dominated by demonstrators :)

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Thanks, Sarah. I just skimmed over the wikitravel page for Ayutthaya and it does sound quite interesting.

8. Sarah
    • Original Member

Sarah Silver Member

But Thai politics have so much entertainment value :)

Kalboz likes this.
  9. Plato90s
    • Original Member

Plato90s Active Member

A couple of small suggestions based on Kalboz's itinierary...

Wat Po is historic, but it's going to be outdoors and hot. I would bring a small towel from the hotel bathroom to wipe your face along the way unless you're one of those people who don't sweat.

For the longtail speed boats, I strongly suggest earplugs. It is LOUD.

In fact, I would recommend low-density earplugs (the cheap kinds they hand out on planes) when you're out and about Bangkok because the routine noise level in the city can give some people (like me) a low-grade headache after being out and about all day.

HaveMilesWillTravel and Kalboz like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Thanks, those are great and practical tips. I never use the airplane earplugs, but I will have them with me.

Looks like it's toasty hot in Bangkok right now. Not a major problem, but while I at first thought that six days might be too much for the city, I then concluded that with the temperatures it might be nice to come back and spend an hour or two at the pool in the afternoon before heading out to dinner and more touring. Anyway, I can't wait :)

11. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013