Some ideas for real social networking

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Saracen, Jun 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Saracen
    • Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

I attended a conference about a year ago, and received a Poken Spark. It's a small keyring thing that you carry, and when you meet someone else with one, you bring them near eachother, and your become contacts in an online community. You can link it up with LinkedIn and other sites too I think.

Was thinking about frequent flyers: wouldn't it be cool to have something like this (maybe a luggage tag even!) that would then allow you, if you meet another MP member, to connect on MP, but even moreso, on other travel sites like TripIt, Uppward, Openflights, Foursquare, and more. Couldn't MP become the core connection base for people to make contacts for those other sites? If our profiles are linked to those sites, MP could initiate connections there. Of course, it would be the member's choice as to how much sharing they want to take part in!

Just a thought…
    jbcarioca, sobore and bakedpatato like this.
  2. bakedpatato
    • Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

HA! I was right! You do work with computers! Wow...we are one huge community of flying computer geeks ;)
    I would pony up for an improved luggage tag with NFC! At the same time, if one is willing to be sociable IRL, one normally posts in a "I'm going to this place" thread to meet up with folks. I guess the tag would help for meeting random people :D
  3. thewinchester
    • Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Firstly, they're already working on MP t-shirts and luggage tags (I can't find the thread which has some photo samples).

Sites like TripIt make it difficult, as their system is designed to work with people who's email addresses are on the same domain. There's also a developing site called Planely which is designed to connect you with people on the same flights.

I concur that the connection to existing social networks to MP is lacking, and this is something I'd like to see considered down the track if the bosses are amenable. However, the big problem is there's so many different social networks, plus systems for tracking your flights both future and past - and integrating all these disparate information sources into a single solution is no easy feat.
    jbcarioca and Chimpy like this.
  4. Saracen
    • Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Sort of… though I'm way down there; I work on hardware design (i.e. silicon), and do so in an academic context :)
    jbcarioca and bakedpatato like this.
  5. Saracen
    • Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Agreed, there is a fair bit of work to be done. The interesting thing about those disparate travel-driven social networks is that between travel-busy periods, one doesn't even look at them, whereas with MilePoint one still pops in every now and then, even if there is no flying to be done. In that sense, MP has a stronger hold factor on its members. Most of those other travel networks rely on you adding people from existing networks. What I'm suggesting is that MP serve as the base network from which we get to connect people in those other travel networks. Most of my “real life friends” don't fly very much, and many of those who do, are not flying geeks, so don't get involved in any of this stuff.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  6. bakedpatato
    • Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Now I'm salivating...CPUs?
    jbcarioca, viguera and Chimpy like this.
  7. Saracen
    • Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Well more like custom accelerators, mostly using FPGAs, so even lower level than that! :)
    jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Randy Petersen
    • Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

We're actually on many of these things and will soon be releasing news of partnerships. As always, it's about how much you wish to share and we will always leave that up to our members. Thanks, nice to know we've been heading in the right direction for some time now.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Grace
    • Original Member

Grace Silver Member

As long as there is a way to specify which sites you'd like it to connect. I prefer to only have people I actually know on my 4sq. I've turned down many 4sq friend requests because they are people who I don't know well enough to warrant knowing my location.

My facebook is the same way. My twitter, on the other hand, is wide open.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Wurm
    • Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

My "concern" (maybe too strong a word) is that MilePoint remain the focus of this community of travelers, and not devolve into "just" a feeder mechanism for disparate, narrowly-focused alternate sites.

For those of us who value maintaining a modicum of personal privacy, MilePoint provides a nice level of interaction - not everyone wants to go beyond that, especially in public spaces such as airline flights.
    MSPeconomist and jbcarioca like this.
  11. viguera
    • Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Indeed, but I think the general idea was to "extend" that MP community beyond just your computer screen/phone, assuming that you want to. After all, wouldn't it be cool if you could if you were just strolling through ORD one day on the way somewhere and you got a message saying that gleff, Chimpy and 14 other members were getting sauced over at the next terminal? :)

I think the technology is there to leverage the existing social media for something like this, because any form of passive technology (such as RFID and even bluetooth) are inherently short-range.
    jbcarioca and Wurm like this.
  12. Exiled in Express
    • Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

I actually took a stroll of both terminals last time I was passing through looking for yellow tags. I would have thought numbers would have meant that there are always a few of us in the ORDeal. Still have yet to spot one in the wild.
    MSPeconomist and jbcarioca like this.
  13. viguera
    • Original Member

viguera Gold Member

I have no doubt that I have probably passed hundreds of members here at different terminals without knowing they were there. There are plenty of social networks already and links to location-based services, but the problem is that not everybody wants to use the megaphone that is facebook or 4square to announce to the world what they're doing.

We could implement a relatively simple solution right here though. We could set up a page, something like milepoint.com/whereami or something of the sort, and use the browser geolocation to figure out where you are so you could check in.

You would then go to this page and "check in" saying you're at a particular airport. The page would also check for people that have already checked in nearby, say within the last couple of hours, and tell you about other members that were nearby.

It would be "relatively" private since it would be open only to members here and it would be an optional thing since you'd have to check yourself in after logging in to MP. Private but social, problem solved. :)
    jbcarioca and Exiled in Express like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

These ides as all intriguing. We will soon have more ways to communicate, as I understand Randy. Should be fun. I too participate in a NFC-based community, but it is intended partly to promote security and manage meeting attendance. On balance i think such technologies are very attractive for SM use, so long as the opt-out and opt-in processes are well and clearly established. One with which I am now working allows selection of specific permitted contacts, groups etc. That one is obviously built for power users. We seem to have a good number of those on milepoint already.
    MSPeconomist likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Remember that anyone could register for MP for only this purpose. To have any level of protection, it would at least need to have the post and likes requirements of the private silver forum, which is still pretty wide open in that people can easily qualify for that in less than a day.