1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Monday, December 22nd at 11:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 2 hours.

SPG hotels convenient for hopping

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by SC Flier, Apr 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    • Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Which SPG hotels are especially convenient to one another for the purpose of hotel hopping without really interrupting your travels? This is not a new concept, but I think that the list has changed a lot with the addition of the Aloft and Element brands. In particular, I'll focus on some which are perhaps similarly priced. If guests typically have a car, I'll note some that may be a few miles apart.

The Aloft Brooklyn opens next door to the Sheraton Brooklyn next month.
    The Element Lexington and Aloft Lexington are next door to each other.
    The Westin Westminster and Aloft Broomfield are just a few miles apart.
    The Sheraton Charleston Airport and Aloft Charleston Airport are on opposite sides of I-26. Both are now Cat2 hotels!
    The Sheraton Charlotte Airport (Cat2) and Four Points Charlotte (Cat1) are about 7 miles apart on opposite sides of the airport.
    The Four Points Charlotte Pineville is a few miles from the Four Points Ballantyne (which is behind the Luxury Collection's Ballantyne Resort.)

There are several cities that have many obvious options that could be listed, though some would not be very convenient without a car. Some cities with multiple options:
    Atlanta (especially in Buckhead, Downtown, Perimeter North, or ATL airport)
    NYC (Manhattan)
    Chicago
    San Diego
    San Francisco
    Seattle

Edited to add select contributions from others below:
    Link - The Sheraton Palo Alto and Westin Palo Alto are right next to one another.
    Link - LAX 4 Points and LAX Gateway Sheraton are within short walking distance of each other, and the LAX Westin is just a bit further down the road (still within walking distance).
    Link - The Dulles area is a great place for SPG mattress running....
    Link - In the Buckhead area of Atlanta, the W and the Westin are less than half a block apart.
    Link - Sheraton Towers / W Hong Kong
    Link - one could go to SIN and hop between the Sheraton and St Regis on foot
    Link - In downtown Minneapolis, there are Westin, W and LC (Ivy) all within a few blocks of each other and, in fact, connected by skyways.
    Link - Minneapolis (no skyway) - LM (Chambers) and aloft (in the Mill City neighborhood, near downtown and close to the Metrodome)

Link - Westin Ft. Lauderdale Beach and W Ft. Lauderdale - essentially across the street from each other.
    Westin Ft. Lauderdale North and Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek - opposite sides of I-95 (about 3 or 4 blocks apart)
    Sheraton Miami Airport and new Element Miami Airport (from August 2011) - several blocks from each other in off-airport area

Link - Bangkok - Westin Grande Sukhumvit and Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit are across the street from each other.
    Toronto - King Edward Hotel and Sheraton Centre
    Ottawa - Sheraton and Westin are about 5 blocks from each other
    Vancouver - Westin Grand and Sheraton Wall Centre - 4 blocks apart
    Seattle - W, Sheraton and Westin - 4-8 blocks from each other

Link - Bangkok - Four Points is right around the corner as well, and the PA is two BTS stops away.

Link -
    • Dallas - Downtown [The Joule, Sheraton and Aloft. The W is a 5 min drive away]
    • Houston - Galleria Area [Sheraton Suites, Two Westins and an Aloft. The St. Regis is on the East side of the Highway and lastly the Sheraton Brookhollow is 5-10 drive north]
    • Fort Lauderdale - Beach Front [Westin Beach, W are a block away. The Sheraton Beach resort is about 5 min away by car]
    • New Orleans - CBD/French Quarter [W New Orleans, Sheraton New Orleans, W French Quarter and Westin New Orleans are all within a five minute walk]
    • Washington, DC - [Westin Georgetown and The Fairfax are five min away by car]
    • Boston - Downtown [Sheraton and Westin Copley are a few blocks away and the W Boston is a 5 min away by car]
    • Orlando - the Swan and the Dolphin hotels
    • Philadelphia - Center City [Westin, Sheraton and Le Meridien are each about 5 min apart walking.]
    • Philadelphia - Airport [Aloft, Sheraton Suites and Four Points]
    • Baltimore - Airport [Westin, Sheraton and an Aloft]
    • Denver - Downtown [Westin and Sheraton]
    • Tampa - Downtown [Sheraton Riverwalk and Westin Harbour are a 10 min walk apart]
    Link- Portland OR - The Nines and Westin are 3.5 blocks away from each other.

Link - Calgary - Sheraton Cavalier and Four Points Calgary Airport are about three blocks from one another.

Link - Baltimore - The Element Arundel Mills and the Aloft Arundel Mills just outside of the Baltimore airport are connected to each other and can be had for low rates. They are connected by a courtyard/pool area.

Link - Baltimore - Sheraton and Westin BWI - share a parking lot. There is an Aloft 1.8 miles from these hotels.

Link - Shanghai China - Shanghai Pudong and the 4 Points Pudong, they are right BESIDE each other and they share the same piece of property. Super convient location infront of the subway line.

Link - Santiago, Chile - Sheraton Conference Center and San Cristobal Tower are right next to each other. Four Points By Sheraton is a few blocks away.

Link - San Diego - the Westin San Diego and the W are literally a block from each other. The Westin Gaslamp Quarter is five easily walkable blocks away from both. And the U.S. Grant (luxury collection) is basically halfway in between the Westin Gaslamp and the Westin San Diego/W.

2. sdcarver
    • Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Wanted to reiterate that San Diego is a great place with 8 in downtown or close and two up north (La Jollla and Carlsbad) I hae found the cheapest rates at 4 Points SD and Sheraton Mission Valley.

sdcarver

travelingmore and bakedpatato like this.
  3. bakedpatato
    • Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

The La Jolla Sheraton is literately right next to a college campus(mine, UCSD), and the surrounding streets can get VERY busy at times. But its a stone's throw from SAN and is not too bad overall :)

travelingmore and sdcarver like this.
  4. sdcarver
    • Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Sounds like a nice alternative, Are the prices decent for Mattress Runs and is parking free?

sdcarver

5. Albert
    • Original Member

Albert Silver Member

The Sheraton Palo Alto and Westin Palo Alto are right next to one another.

SC Flier likes this.
  6. eponymous_coward
    • Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

LAX 4 Points and LAX Gateway Sheraton are within short walking distance of each other, and the LAX Westin is just a bit further down the road (still within walking distance). All three properties are regularly below $100 a night.

Downunder girl and Emos-closet like this.
  7. SC Flier
    • Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

They are. I used to frequent both of them years ago when the Westin was brand new. The public prices are often quite a dramatic difference, unfortunately.

8. bakedpatato
    • Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Prices are not great and parking....well on weekends you can just park on campus and walk ;)

9. thegrailer
    • Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

The Dulles area is a great place for SPG mattress running [actually a good area for mattress running for most chains] .

mwg25 likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

In the Buckhead area of Atlanta, the W and the Westin are less than half a block apart. There's also a MARTA station just in front of the W, so that there's easy access from ATL.

11. Jslo
    • Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

I just did a Sheraton Towers / W Hong Kong hop. Very easy and a nice mix for Hong Kong. Rooftop pool of W is amazing, but Sheraton Towers elite lounge view and food selection is really good. I don't think W even has a lounge. All about the vibe and the pool at the W.

SC Flier and MSPeconomist like this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Welcome to MP. I just gave you your first like.

For people based in Asia, the W and Sheraton HK seem reasonable, although these properties tend not to be cheap most of the time.

Also in Asia, one could go to SIN and hop between the Sheraton and St Regis on foot, after arriving by the MRT (subway/surface light rail). The StR tends to be expensive, but it is much better than the Sheraton.

Downunder girl likes this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

In downtown Minneapolis, there are Westin, W and LC (Ivy) all within a few blocks of each other and, in fact, connected by skyways.

14. Wurm
    • Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

South Florida:

Westin Ft. Lauderdale Beach and W Ft. Lauderdale - essentially across the street from each other.
    Westin Ft. Lauderdale North and Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek - opposite sides of I-95 (about 3 or 4 blocks apart)
    Sheraton Miami Airport and new Element Miami Airport (from August 2011) - several blocks from each other in off-airport area

DeltaExpert likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

If you're willing to walk a few blocks more. there's LM (Chambers) and aloft (in the Mill City neighborhood, near downtown and close to the Metrodome). Unfortunately, these properties are not on the skyway, so yo must go outside.

16. canucklehead
    • Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Bangkok - Westin Grande Sukhumvit and Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit are across the street from each other.

Toronto - King Edward Hotel and Sheraton Centre

Ottawa - Sheraton and Westin are about 5 blocks from each other

Vancouver - Westin Grand and Sheraton Wall Centre - 4 blocks apart

Seattle - W, Sheraton and Westin - 4-8 blocks from each other

Horse, Jslo and SC Flier like this.
  17. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Good call. Four Points is right around the corner as well, and the PA is two BTS stops away.

18. KENNECTED
    • Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

• Dallas - Downtown [The Joule, Sheraton and Aloft. The W is a 5 min drive away]
    • Houston - Galleria Area [Sheraton Suites, Two Westins and an Aloft. The St. Regis is on the East side of the Highway and lastly the Sheraton Brookhollow is 5-10 drive north]
    • Fort Lauderdale - Beach Front [Westin Beach, W are a block away. The Sheraton Beach resort is about 5 min away by car]
    • New Orleans - CBD/French Quarter [W New Orleans, Sheraton New Orleans, W French Quarter and Westin New Orleans are all within a five minute walk]
    • Washington, DC - [Westin Georgetown and The Fairfax are five min away by car]
    • Boston - Downtown [Sheraton and Westin Copley are a few blocks away and the W Boston is a 5 min away by car]
    • Orlando - the Swan and the Dolphin hotels
    • Philadelphia - Center City [Westin, Sheraton and Le Meridien are each about 5 min apart walking.]
    • Philadelphia - Airport [Aloft, Sheraton Suites and Four Points]
    • Baltimore - Airport [Westin, Sheraton and an Aloft]
    • Denver - Downtown [Westin and Sheraton]
    • Tampa - Downtown [Sheraton Riverwalk and Westin Harbour are a 10 min walk apart]
    I'll think of more later

19. SC Flier
    • Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

I can't think of any Ws that do. Even if one did, elite access to a lounge is officially only a Platinum perk at Sheraton, Le Meridien, and Westin. Officially, access to a Club Lounge in other brands would only have to be given if a guest is in a room that includes Club Level access.

20. KENNECTED
    • Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

No...that is incorrect. Le Meridien falls in line with Westin and Sheraton brands since late '09

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...spg_terms.html

4C.5. In addition to all the benefits of Gold Preferred Guest Membership, Platinum Preferred Guests also receive the following benefits:
    d

SC Flier likes this.
  21. SC Flier
    • Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

That would be Westin and Sheraton brands. Thanks for the correction. I've updated my post above.

22. KENNECTED
    • Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Yes I know. I edited that at the same time you posted. ;)

SC Flier likes this.
  23. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Portland PDX airport: aloft and Sheraton are one stop apart by the light rail/trolley line and use the same shuttle to the airport.

ADDED: The Nines (LC) is about a half hour away (downtown) on the same light rail/trolley line from the airport that has a stop about a half block from the aloft's main entrance.

24. travelingmore
    • Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

ONT - Ontario, California:
    Aloft, Four Points and Sheraton

The Aloft and Four Points are actually in Rancho Cucamonga, but that is right next door to Ontario and not far from the airport.
    Sheraton is in Ontario, closest to the ONT airport.
    Free parking at all.

sdcarver likes this.
  25. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

San Francisco: St Regis and Palace (LC) are about a block apart; Westin St Francis is about four blocks from them, uphill toward Union Square.

Wurm likes this.