SPG hotels convenient for hopping

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by SC Flier, Apr 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

In Denver, the Westin and Sheraton are about six or eight blocks apart, but there's a wonderful free public shuttle that runs along the main downtown street they're on (17th?) every few minutes.

2. Wurm
    • Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Not to mention Westin Market Street and W, also within the same two-block radius of the St.R and the Palace.

3. DeltaExpert
    • Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Some great ideas here!

4. sdcarver
    • Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

LAX area has the 4 Points, Westin and the Sheraton close by. I know the Westin and Sheraton are not that great but I was pleasantly surprised by the 4 Points.

sdcarver

edited to add that somehow I missed the earlier post on these three hotels--sorry about the redundant information :oops:

travelingmore likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

I think the Sheraton LAX Gateway is fine, especially if you're Platinum: upgrades and a decent lounge with runway views and relatively long hours.

travelingmore likes this.
  6. KENNECTED
    • Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Says who? I gave the Sheraton a glowing review and I'm not a Sheraton person. The Westin was pedestrian.

sdcarver and travelingmore like this.
  7. travelingmore
    • Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Different strokes etc. - I'm good with the Westin and the Sheraton, not as much for the Four Points, but it will do if in a pinch, and, it is often good for mattress runs.

sdcarver and Horse like this.
  8. Mark.Dragon
    • Original Member

Mark.Dragon Silver Member

If you are around in Munich/Germany you can use the "The Westin Grand München" and the "Sheraton München Arabellapark" for some easy "Hotelhopping"! Both are in the same Street (Arabellastraße 5 + Arabellastraße 6) and you just have to cross the small and quite street from the check out of the first Hotel to the check in to the next one - with slow walking around 4 Minutes... ;)

Greetings Mark

9. illico
    • Original Member

illico Silver Member

Also the Meridien which is not too far from the Palace, about 6 or 7 blocks.

In Montreal, the W and Westin are right around the corner from each other. Walking to the Centre Sheraton from either is doable though perhaps a little far for some.

Wurm likes this.
  10. hardfour

hardfour Member

Atlanta: Sheraton, W and Westin are all within easy walking distance of one another downtown, and the W Midtown is a ~10 minute cab ride away.

SC Flier and MSPeconomist like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Welcome to MP. I just gave you your first like.

Wurm likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

In suburban Minneapolis, the Sheraton South Minneapolis and the Westin Galleria Edina would be the closest properties, only a few minutes by car and both have ample free parking. However, they're both relatively hard to find and while the Westin is wonderful (and therefore often expensive and full, with no hope of a suite upgrade), the Sheraton is not at all one of my favorites.

13. KENNECTED
    • Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

True, true. Well I'm a Westin/W/Luxury Collection kind of guy. However, when it comes to the LAX area I prefer the Sheraton over the Westin. I've only been to one Four Points - and I hate that property with a passion - so I will never return to a Four Points. But I digress, I have read very nice things about the Four Points LAX.

sdcarver likes this.
  14. Quasiconvexity
    • Original Member

Quasiconvexity Silver Member

Montreal: The W and the Westin are just over a block apart
    Washington DC: The W and the St Regis are a short drive (< 1 mile) away
    DTW: The airport Westin and the 4P are quite close by - not walkable, but one can use the airport shuttle to hop between the two if one desires
    Princeville (Kauai): The St Regis and the Westin villas are fairly close by and share some facilities
    Vienna: The Le Meridien, The Bristol and the Imperial are all quite close by (and all excellent, to boot!)

SC Flier likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Welcome to MP, Quasiconvexity. Are you in OR? Is your +1 Quasiconcavity?

16. mwg25
    • Original Member

mwg25 Gold Member

ABSOLUTELY. You'll need a car, but between IAD, Herndon, Reston, Tysons Corner, and Arlington, there are lots of SPG properties that are almost always ridiculously cheap.

There are also three PHL airport properties that share a parking lot - Four Points, Aloft, and Sheraton Suites. (It's also one of the cheapest parking options if you're flying out of there - $7/day and the shuttle to the airport runs every 20 mins)

thegrailer likes this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Too bad your car can't earn stay/nights credits!

mwg25 likes this.
  18. SuzanneSLO
    • Original Member

SuzanneSLO Silver Member

For those planning family trips:

Anaheim, CA: 3 Sheratons within 1.5 miles in Anaheim and Garden Grove;
    Walt Disney World: Swan and Dolphin connected by a walkway and share transporation, dining and recreation options -- Suzanne

SC Flier likes this.
  19. tommy777
    • Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

yuck.. That place is not very nice

20. canucklehead
    • Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Two more sets came to mind

Buenos Aires: Sheraton Hotel and Convention Center and Park Tower, side by side and connected IIRC

Waikiki: 4 hotels within 5 min - Moana Surfrider and Sheraton PK are across the street from each other and Royal Hawaiian and Sheraton Waikiki are side-by-side.

21. Quasiconvexity
    • Original Member

Quasiconvexity Silver Member

Thanks - am active on FT under a different handle. I am in Econ in fact :) More on the applied side - the handle is inspired by first year of grad school.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  22. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

I like it.

23. sniklec
    • Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

There's also a Westin a few blocks away.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  24. Pete
    • Original Member

Pete Silver Member

PHX area:

Phoenix Sheraton and Westin are one block apart.
    Phoenix aLoft and Sheraton Airport are 3-4 miles apart.
    Tempe aLoft and Tempe 4P are 1-2 miles apart.
    Phoenix 4P and Sheraton Crescent are 1 mile or less apart.

25. thegrailer
    • Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

One can get around the no car problem by riding airport shuttles to and from the airport and hotel(s) - at least for the hotels where there are shuttles. It is time consuming but doable for the dedicated ;). The Westin Dulles and the Sheraton Herndon Dulles are probably walkable but you go from the cheapest SPG in the area, the Sheraton, to one of the more expensive ones. Also, the Sheraton Reston and the Westin Reston Heights are in the same parking lot (sort of) so that pair is walking distance. Plus, even though these two are further away from Dulles, there is still a hotel shuttle [they're more expensive than the first grouping too]. The Aloft Dulles is kind of cheap, but the only non-car hopping would be from it to the Hilton Garden Inn in the same parking lot.

OT a bit: For Dulles parking - if you have the time - the streets around the Sheraton Herndon Dulles are parkable and no one on the shuttle asks about your "stay." Indeed, there are actually 3 shuttles in the specific area. One each from the Sheraton, the Hyatt Place Dulles East right next door, and the Dulles Hyatt and the end of the street [I believe there is a charge for that one - not sure?]

Cheers -