Spirit adding new $2 fee to all tickets

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | North America' started by viguera, Feb 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    • Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Is Spirit really the only carrier making all this noise? I mean, it seems everybody else is either rolling with the punches or just "hiding" fees by raising base fare prices, but not Spirit...

The latest, according to CNN, is a $2 fee for "unintended consequences" as a result of the new requirement to allow passengers to cancel a reservation within 24 hours of booking.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/01/travel/spirit-fee/index.html

Here's the press release on the Spirit site:

http://ir.spirit.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=644094

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  2. ArizonaGuy
    • Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Who flies this airline and keeps it afloat? That many uninformed people willingly get nickel and dimed? I'd rather fly RyanAir and that's saying a lot.

3. Wandering Aramean
    • Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Allegiant and Southwest have joined Spirit in protesting the new rule.

And, so long as Spirit includes the fee in the total price they're advertising, who cares? Either the actual price of the ticket will be reasonable or it won't. That $2 of it is a fee rather than in the fare really doesn't matter to anyone except the folks who run marketing at Spirit.

arkleseizure and iolaire like this.
  4. craz
    • Original Member

craz Silver Member

I flew Spirit once and that was enough for me, no ac on the hottest July day a few yrs ago, but they did get rid of all of those old birds

Anyway whats $2 here or there,to most of those who fly Spirit all that matters is that after being hit left and right (nickeled and dimed) that the fare will still be cheaper then if they purchased anywhere else. I hate being charged for a checked bag or carry-on but if AA./DL/UA etc wanted say $398 r/t to FLL and Spirit after everything came to $308, Id gladly fly Spirit

The fees dont bother me but all too often Spirit is only a couple of bucks cheaper and Id rather earn the eqms and be in the drivers seat should I need to change anything

5. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Why would Southwest lower themselves to those two carriers? \

They have become a powerhouse in the industry and I thought tacky marketing tactics wouldn't matter anymore.

Do you have a link of their protest?

6. Wandering Aramean
    • Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/12/southwest-airlines-fights-new.html

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

And personally, I'd just fire them and save some money.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member