1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Star MegaDO 4 - Pre event discussion

Discussion in 'SMD4 (Star MegaDO #4)' started by tommy777, Dec 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

What alternative do you prefer

Poll closed Jan 6, 2012.
  1. The Nordic affair with a touch of Poland

22.2%
  2. The Mediterranean medley

39.8%
  3. Asian Dawn

55.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. canucklehead
    • Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Meals on Wheels is an excellent organization and I volunteered for them for a few years while in school. In addition to a nutritious meal, often the volunteer delivering was the only human contact the people would have had, so it serves a great need!

If we are going to select organizations (and the ones Milepoint features on FlyForward are not necessarily 'flying charities') I would love if we stuck with Kiva but consider one that Mommy Points mentions - Ronald McDonald House - in her Christmas blog.

2. rehoult
    • Original Member

rehoult Silver Member

If we end up with a significant Canadian contingent again, I'd like it if the organizers would consider supporting at least one charity with a Canadian arm (RMH would work for that) so that we can get tax receipts. The tax benefits are huge and would allow us to double our donations for no extra cost.

3. General_Flyer
    • Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Perhaps among the consideration of the bigger charities at home, we may also add smaller charities in our destinations?

4. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

These are really good ideas. Less US-centricity would help many of us.

5. Pizzaman
    • Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Kiva is definitely one of our efforts to make the charitable giving more global. We're also trying to develop a program for one smaller recipient each quarter.

6. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Despite my known enthusiasm for KIva I prefer to keep the MegaDO emphasis on others. If I have a vote it would be for DWB/MSF. That is global, efficient, helps with disasters everywhere...Of course thee are so many worthy charities...

7. Mr. Silver Springer

Mr. Silver Springer Gold Member

8. zphelj

zphelj Silver Member

I've been a supporter of SmileTrain for some time now where a fundamental and profound lifelong impact can be had for as little as $250.

9. kareddick

kareddick Silver Member

Wounded Warrior Project. Where are we going, already??? When??? Can"t wait!

10. Skyraider

Skyraider Active Member

It might also merit consideration that donations to charities are not deductibe in many European countries (allbeit business expenses are).

11. Travelsavant
    • Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Charity discussion is good but did I miss the all-imp post of when, where, how much announcement, or are well all still waiting?

12. Mr. Silver Springer

Mr. Silver Springer Gold Member

I am ready for the announcement(s). :D

Travelsavant and kareddick like this.
  13. canucklehead
    • Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

14. JetAway

JetAway Silver Member

Totally unaware of this. Thanks!

15. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

If we're going international/non-US, which I totally agree with, then I would also go for DWB/MSF. I am a big Kiva fan, but I like the idea of spreading the wealth to smaller charities. Maybe we can make it specific to the countries we have the DO in.....

16. Wandering Aramean
    • Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

I'm not a tax professional, but unless the organization to which you directly give the cash is registered as a charity then you as an individual generally don't get the tax benefits of the donation. So unless you're making donations directly to whatever charity the MegaDo names you likely aren't permitted to take the deduction anyways. Of course, if the MegaDo organization is properly registered as a charity then you can take that deduction since that who you are giving the money to, but I have no idea if it is so registered (there was talk about that at one point a couple years ago but I left well before we got to solving that problem).

Travelsavant, IDGflygirl and TAHKUCT like this.
  17. Sloweddy00

Sloweddy00 Active Member

Asian Dawn would be my choice, but the other two also sound great!

18. rehoult
    • Original Member

rehoult Silver Member

Being a tax professional... :p Actually, the funds can go through a 3rd party (think sponsoring people for various a-thons), the 3rd party just gives a breakdown with the name, address and amounts of the individual donors to the charity when they deliver the 5ft long cheque. The charity then sends out the tax receipts to the individuals. Your risk of course is that the 3rd party never sends in the money, or forgets to provide the list to them.

19. kareddick

kareddick Silver Member

To all my SMD3 friends, I just talked to Hyatt Diamond and was assured that the Suite Upgrades that will expire on Feb 29 CAN BE USED for future reservations beyond Feb 29. I just booked Seattle and SFO to use my last two.
    Also, they have an "on the phone" special offer for the Hyatt Chase card -- 2 Suite stays for diamond and $50 credit w first purchase -- no spend required after first purchase. Sounds good to me.

Still waiting for the good word on SMD4

20. ParanoiaTX
    • Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Yep, you just have have to apply them by Feb 29. And if you cancel any of those future reservations, you do lose the upgrade certs.

21. cova

cova Gold Member

Are we supposed to get 4 additional Hyatt suite upgrades for 2012?

Travelsavant likes this.
  22. gleff
    • Original Member

gleff Co-founder

You will, in April if memory serves

Travelsavant likes this.
  23. kareddick

kareddick Silver Member

Yes, March 1 -- 4 more upgrades

Travelsavant likes this.
  24. Pat89339
    • Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

INSERT GIANT ASTERISK*

From T&Cs: A complimentary suite upgrade is only valid on paid stays/nights, when paying an Eligible Rate for a maximum of 7 consecutive nights. Member must call 800.400.2261 or their nearest worldwide reservation center to redeem upgrade award. Upgrade awards are not available at Hyatt Regency Kyoto, Hyatt Regency Paris-Madeleine, Park Hyatt Sydney and Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort, Hyatt Place, Hyatt Summerfield Suites or Hyatt Residence Group resorts.

I found this out today when I attempted to apply a suite upgrade to what I was told was a "Non Eligible Rate" The agent told me it was an "event rate" and I could not apply the suite upgrade. He also told me that he just learned about that restriction last week.

Travelsavant, Skyraider and katstarr like this.
  25. TAHKUCT
    • Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

That is one of the reasons I am trying to plan ahead and book some properties. Still have 2 more certificates to use.

Travelsavant likes this.