1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Starting in 2014: Changes to Premier qualification

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Jun 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    • Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing some upcoming changes to our Premier qualification requirements for 2014. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ at www.mileageplusupdates.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

Starting in January 2014, Premier qualification for members living in the United States will include a minimum annual spending level. We will track this new requirement with Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) – dollars spent on most United tickets, including partner flights, and Economy Plus purchases. The changes will not affect Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or Premier qualifying segments (PQS). The new criteria will look like this:

• Premier Silver: [25,000 PQM or 30 PQS] and $2,500 PQD
    • Premier Gold: [50,000 PQM or 60 PQS] and $5,000 PQD
    • Premier Platinum: [75,000 PQM or 90 PQS] and $7,500 PQD
    • Premier 1K: [100,000 PQM or 120 PQS] and $10,000 PQD
    A minimum of at least four paid flights operated by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines will be needed to qualify for any Premier status.

For 2014, the PQD requirement is waived for Premier Silver, Premier Gold, and Premier Platinum qualification for members whose address with MileagePlus is within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia and who spend at least $25,000 in Net Purchases in 2014 on a MileagePlus co-branded credit card issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A. There is no PQD waiver for Premier 1K qualification.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted at www.mileageplusupdates.com, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members. In the meantime, if you still have any more questions after going through the FAQ, please post them here and I’ll do my best to clarify.

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines

2. colpuck
    • Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

That's that then.

3. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

You almost get better perks from just having credit cards nowadays then actually flying lol.

Sammich, zphelj, Olton Hall and 6 others like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Everyone still asleep? 21 mins and just colpuck's comment? Heading over to FT for the show :)

Sammich, bk3day, LETTERBOY and 4 others like this.
  5. edcho

edcho Silver Member

I saw this coming... but not this soon.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

I thought exactly the same thing. See you there :D

Sammich, LETTERBOY and sfogate like this.
  7. webdes03

webdes03 Silver Member

That seems fair to me. Seems like it'd be pretty tough to fly 25k PQM without spending $2,500, or 50k PQM without spending $5k. Those are easy targets for the most part, and I do like the addition that meeting the $25k spend level on the CC waives the PQD requirement.

This aligns with what other airlines (cough Delta) are doing, and it seems like realistic and fair amounts to me.

Do things like DirecTV, or snack purchases on-board count toward PQD, or is it just fares?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Delta should have patented this.

hulagrrl210 and bigx0 like this.
  9. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

I think it was more just letting the news sink in. I wish the credit card spending requirement would also apply to 1K like Delta.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

MilePoint | Where frequent travelers let the news sink in before making thoughtful comments.

FlyerTalk | Read, Snark, Think (optional)

:)

11. Mackieman
    • Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

The FAQ states that only fares, carrier-imposed surcharges (like YQ I'm assuming), and E+ purchases count.

12. Wandering Aramean
    • Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

I actually think it was late, not early.

I knew I'd never qualify for 1K again. I'm glad I'm getting my MMer done this year.

13. cliburn
    • Original Member

cliburn Silver Member

Yeah and I thought what DL rolled out was bad....

coflyer2 likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Quoting from the page Aaron linked to:

The following spending counts toward the PQD requirement:

Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

So fuel surcharges should presumably count as PQD.

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    • Original Member

If you didn't see this coming you were probably choosing to not look. It isn't a surprise. Unfortunate for some of us (self included) but hardly a surprise.

HeathrowGuy, LETTERBOY and goalie like this.
  16. HeathrowGuy
    • Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Thankfully, I still have my Presidential Plus card, and only 120,000 Lifetime Miles until MM, so I'm gonna be OK. *Starts breathing again*

desamo and 8MiHi like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Also interesting in the fine print:

"For 2014, the Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) requirement is waived for existing Presidential Plus Cardmembers for Premier Silver, Premier Gold, and Premier Platinum qualification. There is no PQD waiver for Premier 1K qualification. The Presidential Plus Card is no longer available to new applicants."

(not that it matters to me since I don't have the card)

8MiHi and HeathrowGuy like this.
  18. J.Edward
    • Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

A few years ago at a FFG event in ORD JC1120 and myself were talking to O'Leary and it went something like this:

Scott: On some customers we make a profit of $0.50 for every $1 they spend on us <looks at JC1120>​
    Scott: ...other customers cost us $1.50 for every $1 they spend on us. <looks at J.Edward>​
    J.Edward: So let me get this straight: you're loosing $0.50 for every dollar I spend on UA and the brilliant plan to fix this problem by requiring me to spend more? Well, okay,if that's *really* what you want. <shrug>​

So when revewing my options I can:
    1. Spend $10k + on 016 stock...and fly even more!
    2. Reside outside the 50 Continental US
    3. All of the above
    (Thinking I'll opt for #3)

Bottom line I am not too worried about this (and I think most members should not be even if they're not sure they can hit the revenue water marks as 1) they can reside outside the US and/or 2) spend 25k on a co-branded Chase card, assuming they do not have ambitions for 1K.)

But what I think is interesting is the (at least so far) lack of a give back in terms of benefits.
    UA's obviously looking to tighten the ranks by going after the (lowest) handing fruit, and in doing so, should be able to allocate greater benefits to the remaining members who will represent on average a higher margin and I look forward to hearing what those benefits will be.

Also of note is the lack of a PQD waiver for Chase spend at the 1K level (by comparison DL will waive the $12,500 MQD for Diamond with $25k spend). While I personally like this, I am a bit surprised - and glad - they did not follow DL's lead for the top published tier.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Oh, I totally expected this. And yes, I am closely tracking my progress towards MM status by year-end.

LETTERBOY, 8MiHi and boondr like this.
  20. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

This is 10 cents per PQM. Since most people seem to feel 3 to 4 cents per PQM is a good mileage run fare (and I was just listening to the PointsHoarder podcast discussing a 2.7 CPM mileage run), you can see that plenty of folks were making the PQMs at one-third of the dollar cost of the new requirements.

MX, 8MiHi and Wandering Aramean like this.
  21. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Guess this changes the math for all those folks who have been asking "what real value to does a Chase UA card have vs. CSP"?

edekba and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  22. HeathrowGuy
    • Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

To be fair, I thought we'd see this in 2015, after United finished fixing itself and once the basic integration of AAdvantage and Dividend Miles was completed.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  23. Wandering Aramean
    • Original Member

We are going to see it in 2015. ;)

LETTERBOY, Tenmoc, 8MiHi and 4 others like this.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

They can just take the UA or Delta rules and use search/replace to change the program name.

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

All my UA spend goes on my Chase UA Select card anyway due to 3x earnings.

LETTERBOY, Scottrick and guberif like this.