1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, September 16th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

Stricter rules for hand baggage on Lufthansa?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by miles-and-points, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

It seems there are new policies in place as of recently.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  2. NewbieRunner
    • Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Isn't it what this thread is about? [​IMG]
    jbcarioca likes this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Absolutely! This is why I was pointing out that past experiences at MUC may not equal future :)
    jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jetsetter
    • Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

I just completed a trip TXL - ZRH - BUD and nobody was checking anything really. I saw that banner in the magazine however and it mentioned very clearly that the number of cabin bags also apply as is for frequent travllers/sentors/hons as per the flying class. I found it a bit odd but nobody was checking. Another note on that poster, since Lufthansa is governed by IATA, the size of the cabin luggage they have specified should not hold. According to IATA,

Cabin baggage should have maximum length of 22 in (56 cm), width of 18 in (45 cm) and depth of 10 in (25 cm). These dimensions include wheels, handles, side pockets, etc.

Just a thought :)
    jbcarioca likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Flew shorthaul from FRA on Saturday- the 1 carry on limit for Y was being very strictly enforced- there were at least 40 bag check bags- and the flight was not even full. Apparently the 8 kg limit also applies per piece in business- however they were not checking weight- just bag count. Absolutely no leeway also for status customers.
    Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Any updates from others? I flew shorthaul Y to/from FRA last week two roundtrips (four flights), and with my laptop plus carry on bag (under 8kg carry on bag) I was asked on one occasion to put my laptop bag inside my carry on... Has anyone complained and received a (meaningful) response?
  7. 744
    • Original Member

744 Gold Member

I suspect the weight / number enforcement is probably contingent on the staff present at the gate. If there are supervisors milling about, I'm sure enforcement will be stricter. If mgmt is not around most GA's probably wont take too much time an effort to measure/weigh each piece. Just MHO.
  8. 744
    • Original Member

744 Gold Member

The excerpt below is from Lufthansa's Baggage Policy. I didnt want anyone assuming that it was truly a 1 piece of carry on luggage. You are still allowed a purse/laptop-notebook bag as well. I can see from some of the posts how it could be interpreted that you are only being allowed 1 physical piece to bring on board but that did not include the personal item.

Additional items which are allowed in the cabin

In addition to your hand baggage and technical appliances you may take the following items into the cabin:
    html_list
    • A handbag, wrist bag or small bag (or small laptop bag) and their content
    • A coat, shawl or blanket
    • A small camera or a pair of binoculars
    • An appropriate amount of reading material for the journey
    • A infant carrier and baby food for the flight
    • Crutches or other orthopedic aids you are depending on
    jbcarioca, ralfkrippner and TRAVELSIG like this.
  9. JetSet
    • Original Member

JetSet Silver Member

I have an upcoming flight at the end of June, JFK-FRA on the A380. I'm used to traveling with carry-on only, and as I'll be heading home, my bags are definitely going to be over 8 kgs. Hmmm...maybe I'll get lucky at check-in and no one will care about weighing them? :(
    jbcarioca likes this.
  10. 744
    • Original Member

744 Gold Member

I wouldnt worry about it too much. From what I've seen the spot checks seem to few and far apart. They'll target someone coming on board with 2 large "legal" carry ons or someone having that 2nd or 3rd piece (depending on class) that they're technically not supposed to have. But I agree, 8kgs is a tough goal to hit for a carry on.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  11. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

I have seen them much more enforced on the smaller planes/shorter flights- especially the A321 which seems to have a lack of space now particularly given the elimination all-together of the closet (which is a terrible idea).
    jbcarioca and ralfkrippner like this.
  12. Pat+
    • Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

I flew CDG/FRA two days ago and the gate agent was sizing all bags in the economy boarding lane. I was flying C with a rather sizeable carryon and they didn't even blink an eye. Just a data point.
    jbcarioca, ralfkrippner and 744 like this.
  13. Dovster
    • Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

I am going to be flying MXP-PRG on Lufthansa. If I have a small roller bag and a briefcase will that be a problem?
    jbcarioca likes this.
  14. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

If you are in C, no problem at all. If in Y, YMMV.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  15. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

I have had two recent A32x flights MUC-TXL and TXL-FRA both in C and nobody even glanced at my bags. the same was true for GRU-MUC and FRA-GRU. YMMV for certain. I would not use the Y queue out of an excess of caution.
  16. Dovster
    • Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

I have no choice but to use the Peasant Line. I am flying in Economy (my ticket cost $64.70, including taxes and fees) and I have no status with Lufthansa or any partner airline.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  17. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Be sure to take advantage of the complimentary flogging service. You can do it yourself or ask the friendly agent to do it for you. Remember to bow to all HON Circle and full fare C class passengers- you will know who they are as they will be holding up signs indicating said respective benefits.
    Counsellor and jbcarioca like this.
  18. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

If you're determined to imitate a peasant, and at that price maybe you should, I'd keep the weight to 8KG each, just in case.
  19. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Were i threre are the correct time and place I'd upgrade you Dov, it is only fare, after all:D
  20. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Something tells me a $64 ticket is not upgradeable ;)
    jbcarioca likes this.
  21. Dovster
    • Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

I bought my ticket on Expedia -- is there any way that I can choose a seat in advance? (That's assuming, of course, that a $64 fare entitles me to a seat.)
    jbcarioca and TRAVELSIG like this.
  22. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Without status, you cannot access ASR (Advanced Seat Request) on Lufthansa. It will be fine however to checkin online at T-23 and you should have a very good choice of seats- particularly on routes ex-Italy I find ~99% of people still checkin at the terminal, and have not made ASR even if they are entitled to.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  23. Dovster
    • Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

I just located my flight on the Lufthansa website and I was not particularly thrilled by what I found.

Namely, I found that it (the flight) no longer exists.

Instead of flying non-stop MXP-PRG, I am going through MUC and not only do I arrive two hours later but I also am going to be spending time on two Barbie jets.

MXP-MUC will be in an Embraer 195 operated by Air Dolomiti and MUC-PRG will be in an RJ85 Avroliner operated by Lufthansa CityLine.

Apparently they were going to keep this secreet from me until I showed up at MXP.
  24. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

That is not too fun. Hopefully you can find someone in Munich who can guest you into a lounge at least?
  25. Dovster
    • Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

I will only be in MUC for an hour. I would prefer to grab a smoke if there is anywhere I can do it.