1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

The March 2nd, 2011 Apple Press Conference Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Captain Oveur, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    • Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Any thoughts and/or guesses on what Apple may (or may not) say this Wednesday?

Guessing they will talk about....
    iPad2 (without Retina display), but with front and rear cameras and faster processor.

Guessing they will not talk about.....
    iPhone 5.

Anybody else?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Sounds like a pretty good guess to me.

Will the iPad 2 have GSM 3G as the iPad 1, or will they go LTE 4G for AT&T and Verizon support?

Maybe some sneak preview of iOS 5?

3. Captain Oveur
    • Original Member

Heard it will be 3G.

Dan Mead said "you'll see more coming from Apple on LTE." My guess is that will start with iPhone 5.

4. chanp
    • Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Waiting on the news to see if I will wait for it or get the Xoom.

5. Bob Smolinsky
    • Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

could be interesting to see that if not enough new features, but still driving the price if iPad 1 down, the originals could become a bargin while they last...

6. adambadam
    • Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

I think you will see a preview of iOS 5 and new feature that will be released this summer so that devs can get a head start on writing new apps.

I think you will see iPad2 unveiled and released by the end of March probably much sooner than later. My guess is iPad2 will have a 2 core processor, a front camera only, I also hope it has a thunderbolt connection.

I think you will see a MobileMe revamp that will include functionality to position itself more in between Flickr and Youtube to share photos and videos though to make it more personalize.

7. Captain Oveur
    • Original Member

I know there's always talk, but there's some buzz about this iPad2 being a "temporary" thing. I know that everything electronic can be viewed as "temporary," but some folks are speculating an iPad3 might be out around Christmas.

It makes sense if you consider all the Android tablets coming out. But, Apple has always ran on its own timetable, so we'll see.

Still would consider getting iPad2. We'll see with the news conference tomorrow.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  8. Captain Oveur
    • Original Member

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  9. Bob Smolinsky
    • Original Member

There goes my theory......guess they are coming very very soon!

Good thing I have a trip back home to NY scheduled for late April :)

10. adambadam
    • Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

11. nomflyer
    • Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

I think all signs point to the iPad 2 being introduced.

12. RCyyz
    • Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Just a few more hours then we all find out! :)

13. Tivoboy
    • Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

I don't think we'll see a retina display yet, but possibly a higher rez display than current models.
    I think we'll get a processor bump, memory of at least 512mb, 2x current,
    F&R cameras, possibly a bit lighter, while maintaining same 10+ hours usage
    Probably a dock connector on the SIDE as well, but no Thunderbolt I think.
    Probably an entry version at 399$, with the normal versions at 499+

Just sold my wifi 32gb yesterday for 477$, so I'm hoping they come out soon!

14. kingalien
    • Original Member

kingalien Silver Member

I'm hoping for slightly smaller form factor (same size screen), little lighter and, not expecting this, an improved screen. If 2 out of three are there then I will upgrade to iPad2.

15. David
    • Original Member

David Silver Member

I'd expect iPad 2 to just be predominatly a refresh: Form factor refinements, faster processor, possible capacity bump - oh and the missing feature user facing webcam.

Yeah we will get previews of some features, etc.

Now where I think the big switch is coming, and it is not necessarily related to iPad 3, is when apple are ready to do their big cloud push. But the change won't be the cloud, it will be the idea of using the iPad as your only computing device (if you want to) no computer needed to activate it, or manage it - but using the iPad as your only computer.

Apple arn't ready to push this idea yet. I think the idea will be launched with a more expensive variant iPad 3 model (they won't want to hurt their revenue), but they do have people walking into their stores daily wanting this - iPad as their only computing device.

16. ACMM
    • Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

17. David
    • Original Member

David Silver Member

mhf and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  18. mhf
    • Original Member

mhf Silver Member

The Smart Cover is pretty slick.

19. chanp
    • Original Member

chanp Silver Member

I do like it. I think the Xoom will drop in price and will be on a 4G/LTE network. I will stay tuned as the 2 is only 3g on either network.

20. diver90
    • Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Just my opinion - thumbs up on improvements, but nothing too fantabulous.

21. Bob Smolinsky
    • Original Member

so.....iPad3 for Xmas anyone? :)

BondAir007 and Skyvillager like this.
  22. chanp
    • Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Could be. Need a ipad that runs on 4g here and gsm technology abroad. Ok, enough dreaming :) Heck, even a Xoom does that.

23. Tivoboy
    • Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Wow, I sold my 32GB wifi ipad yesterday for 477$, I already miss it. Can't wait to pre-order the new one.

24. Ant
    • Original Member

Ant Silver Member

So it's slightly thinner, more luggage space (!); and it's got a bit more umph... I've played with one and I think it's gorgeous, but there's a lot of things that are gorgeous and I don't buy them. I'm still not totally convinced to buy one just yet. My iPhone suits me just fine. For now... :)

25. SeaRaptor
    • Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

I was kind of disappointed in the new hardware stats. I was glad to see them use the A5, but can't find any info on if they upped the RAM from 256MB. The lack of a MicroSD slot is still an egregious error to me.