The meaning of Membership End/Card Expiry?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

• Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

I'm not sure to understand exactly what Membership Year End and Card Expiry Date mean on BA?
    • Original Member

Shuttle-Bored Silver Member

Membership year end is the period you have in which to earn the necessary tier points to achieve or retain status. Card expiry date is the date until which your card is valid, and things like lounge access will apply until.

Reason for the difference is that BA need the 6 or so weeks to produce and ship a new card to you.
    The Saint, alex0683de and Globaliser like this.
    • Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

And membership year end is always the eighth of a month, with the card expiry date at the end of the following month.

So, for example, if you are currently a Silver and your membership year end was 8 February 2011, your card will expire on 31 March 2011 and you wil continue to get lounge access until that date in any event.

If you had earned enough tier points by 8 February 2011 to renew Silver, then you will get a new Silver card which will get you lounge access until 31 March 2012. Any tier points you earn from 9 February 2011 onwards count towards renewing Silver for a further year. (If you reach enough to get Gold, you go through the tier point reset process at that time.)

If you hadn't earned enough Tier Points, then (according to the rules) you will get a Blue card and no more lounge access from 1 April 2011 onwards. (This ignores any possibility of a complimentary renewal, of course.) In this situation, tier points earned from 9 February 2011 would go towards qualifying for Silver once more (with a tier point reset if you reach that level).
    • Original Member

the reason I asked this was because I had a fear of loosing my BA FF miles

but now I see that this has no effect on them, as I was dirt and will continue to have dirt status before and after the expiry dates
    • Original Member

Yup, miles expiry is unconnected to card expiry. Your miles will expire 36 months after the last earning activity in your account (whether that's a flight, hotel stay, Tesco shopping or buying miles from BA), unless you're in a household account where one of the householders has a Gold or Silver card (whereby they'll protect said miles from expiring).
    The Saint, alex0683de and Globaliser like this.
    • Original Member

is it only earning activity or spending activity as well?

I don't plan to earn any more BA miles as I canceled my Chase card, but I am certainly going to spend them soon.
    • Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

I think that spending activity counts, too.
    • Original Member

Either - so spending counts too. Tend to forget about that one, as earning is usually the quicker fix to protecting your miles!
    • Original Member

that's great news

in light of recent fuel surcharge increases, does this apply to partners as well? I noticed there are more fees redeeming on JAL as compared to CX, and further less on some AA routes...
    • Original Member

Petrus Silver Member

Any transaction on the account will extend the life of the balance for 36 months. It is very good actually. Unlike some carriers where after 3 years of miles/points posting it's bye bye no mercy.
    Globaliser and alex0683de like this.
    • Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Indeed, and it's a lot harder to lose track of than the 18-month expiry most of the US-based carriers have introduced (AA, UA, DL, for example).
    Petrus and Globaliser like this.
    • Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Even without the credit card, there are always the usual options of miles from hotel stays or rental cars. There's a full list of partners on the BAEC website.
    • Original Member

flyclub Member

There is a whole section on BA.com after you login which deals with how to prevent BA miles from expiring, which mainly links to the ways posted already. However it did catch my eye recently as I hadn't noticed a separate section dealing with this specifically before.
    Shuttle-Bored, oscietra and The Saint like this.
  1. Jim Renschen Active Member

You can actually buy, say 1000 airmiles to keep acct from expiring. It's all in the "fine" print.
  2. Rus925 Active Member

Is this still the case? I'm wondering if it matters when I match my BMI status to BA. I currently don't have any status with BA, but apparently my membership year expires June 8?
    • Original Member

David Silver Member

Q: How long do you have bmi status for?
    [You obviously need to match before you loose it at bmi, or before you drop Gold to Silver in bmi scheme, etc.]

Assuming your status with bmi does not run out before then, you obviously should wait at least until after June 8th. [Based upon how the status match has been working in practice, according to all reports.]Ideally until after July 8th would be safer.

Beyond that it comes down to what you want. If you fly just with BA, your bmi status will get you lounge access at the main BA base lounges (as a result you might choose to delay matching). If however you are flying with the oneworld partners, then you might want oneworld status before when you fly with them.
    Rus925 likes this.
  3. Rus925 Active Member

Thanks for the reply! I'm going on a mini-RTW trip on June 4, returning mid-July, so I do want the card asap, and I was worried about waiting too long lest I fall victim to the long lag time for the transcon shipping of the card. My transcon flights are all on *A, but I wanted the Gold card so I could use CX's lounges in HKG, for instance, for flights in the region, as well as for IB/BA in Europe, but you make a good point that I technically don't need the card for the BA lounges in LON. Anyway, I already filed for the status match and haven't yet received it, so I guess there's not much I can do at this point but see when they clear me. Someone on FT mentioned the same thing about waiting until after the 8th, but then said that only mattered if I had status with BA already. If I'm Blue, does it make a difference?
    • Original Member

David Silver Member

If you have a membership year end date with BA (which you do, and it is in a months time), then doing it after the 8th would have been better under the rules published and would have been better for how it is working in practice.

However, you've done it now, you should certainly get a years Gold (OW Emerald) and then soft landing to Silver (OW Sapphire) both of which get you lounge access. As such, I would still be happy - BA have been far more generous with people than they needed to be!