The St. Regis Bangkok - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by ChicagoEric, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

There are a number of beautiful hotels in Bangkok! Stay where you are comfortable for your budgeting and unless your expectations are out of line you will still be very happy.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Putra

Putra Silver Member

I never splurge so much in unknown place or 1st time there. Thats why I limit some amount for Bangkok. Unless I know the place very well, I could spend on it.

TRAVELSIG and uggboy like this.
  3. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

4. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Hmm.. Well with the Oriental, the Peninsula, and the Four Seasons it is pretty hard to go wrong- I have never heard anyone say they are dissatisfied with one of the 3- however there are personal preferences which can lead to long debates on MP ;).

uggboy, Putra and Kalboz like this.
  5. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Just booked a 5-night stay at the St. Regis Bangkok :)

What are the expectations for suite upgrades?

Reservation shows children as "0" but booking page did not give me choice to make any kind of selection for the children. :confused: We have 10-months infant and 3 1/2 years child at time of check-in.

uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Congratulations Kal!

I would call the hotel immediately regarding the children- and get them to send you a confirmation by email- otherwise you may be hit with some unexpected charges/fees.

In reference to the suite upgrades- I am only SPG Gold so have no idea- what I have done at other SPG properties in Thailand is either pay an upcharge in cash or Starpoints- usually the prices are very reasonable. Alternatively- 45 SQ metres is a pretty good sized room- bigger than many apartments in Bangkok, and about the same size as suites at most London Hotels for example! You should be fine.

Toula, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  7. girlsmom
    • Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

What are the chances of any kind of upgrade as a gold?

8. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Thank you TRAVELSIG!

They did confirm by adding the children after I emailed. However, it is still showing 45 SQM Deluxe King room and I think that's kind of small for a family of four. We did burn 48K SPG points on this reservation. Although I appreciated what they are offering us here but would we better off at the SGS with the usual huge Grande Deluxe Suite for 8K less SPG points?

Toula and uggboy like this.
  9. theskyflyer
    • Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

I was upgraded to an Astor Suite with gorgeous view on my 1st stay there. I think the hotel takes care of SPG Platinums very well, just like most SPG properties in Thailand. They will do everything they can to accommodate you to a larger room/suite if available.

And don't let SPG.com fool you on the day of arrival if no upgrade is shown. I checked online before checking in and room was not upgraded, but upon check-in 1 hour later, was taken to my Suite.

uggboy, SASDC8, Toula and 1 other person like this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Kal- I would go with the SGS and the Grande Suite- definitely better for 4 people. SGS is a class act.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  11. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

WOW! The Astor Suite ... very nice with plenty of room :)
    Just got an email from a friend that works at the Residences and she is assuring me that all will be okay. I have 4-night stay next door at the Grand Hyatt Erawan prior to this stay and will make sure that all is well before moving in :)

12. Stealth Traveler
    • Original Member

Stealth Traveler Silver Member

Just booked a C&P for the end of March...one night, quick turn for the next morning 8am TG F flight to Hong Kong...what time does breakfast start?

With such an early flight and I want to get to BKK to enjoy a little TG F lounge, how long is a cab ride in the morning (around 5-5:30am)? It looks like the skytrain doesn't open until 6am.

13. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

The bridge between the SR and Ratchdamri BTS station is now open:
    [​IMG]
    An awesome set of photos here, use the Slideshow feature for the best views :)

14. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Are you going to post a TR kal?

15. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

16. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Wow. The bridge would have been handy when we were there earlier this year. We wouldn't have had to run in the rain to the BTS station!

17. drdubs
    • Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

Cab ride shouldn't be more than 30-40 minutes that early in the morning. We made the trip during evening rush hour and took us just under an hour using Image car service in Bangkok.

18. Stealth Traveler
    • Original Member

Stealth Traveler Silver Member

How did you like Image? Show up on time? Good service or just does the job?

19. drdubs
    • Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

I liked Image a lot. We booked them return from BKK to the St. Regis and had a good experience in both directions. Main selling points for me:

• Clean cars with plenty of space for our bags from a 3 week trip and two passengers and good working A/C
    • Drivers were waiting for us at the appointed time in both directions
    • Reservation process was relatively easy (i.e. accepted major credit card, contact spoke fluent English, website worked well)
    • Figured out where the St. Regis was located quickly even though most drivers in the city can't yet seem to find it (note: this was true as of September 2011)
    There was nothing particularly outstanding about Image, but they did the job and I feel they were priced fairly for what we got. I'd recommend them to a friend.

20. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

I believe breakfast at Viu starts at 6:00 AM.
    As stated above, I'd take a taxi to the airport. The skytrain is great to explore the city but I would not take it to the airport via the connection.

21. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. theskyflyer
    • Original Member

Kalboz, is this the suite you ended up being upgraded to?

Kalboz likes this.
  23. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Yes, they upgraded us to the above photoed suite (Metropolitan # 1913) for one night ... then to another suite (Astor) on the 22nd floor for the 4 reminder nights. Photos of the Astor suite are coming up. Also, the breakfast here at Viu, I dare say, is the best I have had at any hotel in Bangkok or otherwise in terms of quality.

theskyflyer likes this.
  24. theskyflyer
    • Original Member

Looks like the shower in the Met Suite is larger than the Astor's. I have minor complaint about the toilet door in Astor's. IIRC, it's too close to the tub. Also the night light is too bright.

Hmm... has the breakfast changed from my stay in late November? I'll be here again in the beginning of next month and am hoping it has improved.

"Also, the breakfast here at Viu, I dare say, is the best I have had at any hotel in Bangkok or otherwise in terms of quality."

Kalboz likes this.
  25. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Met shower was great ... the Astor shower is just as good. Very close, yes, but you can fully open the toilet door without hitting the tub:
    [​IMG]
    IMO, the best breakfast with sushi and sashimi, eggs station, noodles to order, Thai food (Khaotom and Jocq), cerials, pastries, salads, fruits, nuts, and many other items with high quality and execution.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As for the restaurant service, on the other hand, they are leaving much to be desired.

Stealth Traveler and theskyflyer like this.