1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Time Difference SFO - SYD

Discussion in 'Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific' started by ella, Jun 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ella
    • Original Member

ella Silver Member

I must admit I am somewhat geographically challenged on this trip. My itinerary has shown two different things.
    First time it showed leaving SFO on 10/26 arriving SYD 10/28.
    After I changed the return portion, the outbound was issued showing leaving SFO on 10/26 arriving SYD on 10/27.
    Everything I've seen says SYD is on other side of int'l date line from U.S. so arriving on 10/28 would be correct, yes?
    Thanks.

2. LIH Prem
    • Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

When I did that flight on UA a couple of years ago, it was true, because the UA flights left SFO late at night, so the arrival date was technically +2 (relative to the local time/date of the departure) as you suggested.

What flight are you looking at?

Either way it's a 14 hour flight.

-David

3. ella
    • Original Member

ella Silver Member

Thanks David. Sounds like basically the same flight I've booked. My flight is UA863 leaves SFO 10:59p and arrives SYD 7:25A. The +2 made sense on the arrival time, but then when they changed it to +1day then I started to doubt myself.

4. Falcon View
    • Original Member

Falcon View Silver Member

Multi-zone time changes make my head hurt, which is why I have a GMT watch, but how would this work in Australia? When it is, say, 12:00 noon on Monday in Sydney, what time / date is it in Los Angeles?

5. trooper
    • Original Member

trooper Silver Member

For SYD to LAX you add 7 hours and subtract a day....

So Noon Monday in Sydney is 7pm Sunday in LA...

The date line is being mean to me this month... I fly out of LAX the night of the 27th... thus arriving at SYD the morning of the 29th... and the 28th is my birthday!!! :p

Italy98 likes this.
  6. KENNECTED
    • Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

7. viguera
    • Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Firefox and FoxClocks are your friend. :)

8. ella
    • Original Member

ella Silver Member

9. Italy98
    • Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Happy belated birthday, or Buon compleanno in ritardo. :D