Tool for finding cheap flights from departure city without entering destination

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by DAS02135, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    • Original Member

DAS02135 Silver Member

Not exactly a mileage run question, but I think this is the most appropriate place...

Is there a website I can use to find the least expensive flights from a departure city on a specific date? For example, if I want to see all the cheap flights departing from Boston next Friday so I can determine if any of them are warm and worth going to, is there a tool I can use?

I was using FareCompare like a different thread suggests, but I cannot figure out to use specific dates.

I also tried using Expedia's dream tracker, but all the pop ups on the map are a big pain in the butt.

I've been hesitant to post this on Flyer Talk because I'm sure it's answered someplace and I did not want snarky 'use the search' responses. However, their forum search is not a great tool when they are so many posts...

EDIT TO SHARE SOME RESPONSES:

Here are some of the recommendations:
    http://www.kayak.com/buzz
    http://www.farecompare.com/search/flyertalk.html
    http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/

Great for constructing a mileage run, but not (yet) friendly for just finding cheap flights for a quick getaway:
    http://mileagebrain.com/

2. iolaire
    • Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Kayak Buzz works ok: http://www.kayak.com/buzz you can select upcoming weekends or specific months. Buzz can be found from the home page by clicking the More link, then Even More and finding Buzz.

3. DAS02135
    • Original Member

DAS02135 Silver Member

Thanks! That works pretty well. Do you if there's a way to filter out airlines? For instance, if someone hates Delta :)

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  4. karenkay
    • Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

great tip, thanks, i hadn't seen this one! to the op, if you're using the farecompare tool (which is the one i've been using up to now) you have to input the dates after you've gotten the best fares from your chosen departure city.

5. roadwarrior365
    • Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Kayak Buzz is the best if you want to find specific dates. Fare compare works great for me to.

6. jcmitchell21

jcmitchell21 Active Member

Thanks for the tool, I like it alot better than fare compare

7. Gnopps
    • Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

8. al613
    • Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Farecompare lists filled prices. They might not be in the system yet or even never for your dates. Kayak buzz shows you what other users have found. These prices might be gone by now. But you can combine both tools :)

9. Bobofoosh
    • Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

I am NEVER able to book these tickets. Always a YQ surcharge or something else going on that makes these fares almost unusable for me.

10. Gnopps
    • Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

I prefer to use the Farecompare search rather than Buzz just because they list the fares without taxes & surcharges (which depend on routing). Buzz will only show a fare if it has come up in someone's search - if no one searched it it will not be shown (or?).

11. jnsaff

jnsaff Member

12. Bobofoosh
    • Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

I agree about Buzz. Sometimes a nice surprise, but not usually. Mileagebrain looks like it could be good as they fix the bugs. I know people in FT posted that it wasn't finding some of the better MRs.

13. Sarah
    • Original Member

Sarah Silver Member

I've used Student Universe's FarePlay as well which has the same problems as Buzz- only get what people have found and often Student Universe's prices are higher; for many fares being a student is not required. Still, it has more specific geographic region options (Northern, Western, Eastern Europe etc.) which can be useful.

k2o likes this.
  14. TrueBlueFlyer
    • Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

many people recommend the monthly search on www.skyscanner.net

but personally I like an Australian site I found a while ago www.adioso.com it doesn't work for all airports but pretty cool nonetheless on routes where it does work

Travelgirl likes this.
  15. Sean
    • Original Member

Sean Gold Member

I've also never been able to book a ticket for the price quoted on farecompare, but it can still be useful for identifying a market that an airline is targeting with low fares. I think its major limitation is that is doesn't track availability, just which fares are filed. So it might see an L fare on United as filed but is L0 for the whole schedule.

16. kyunbit
    • Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

airfarewatchdog.com does a good job if your dates are not fixed.

17. Sean
    • Original Member

Sean Gold Member

I can't tell if mileagebrain isn't working or if fare prices are just that high out of IAD.

You mentioned HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED!

RIP FDs, lest we forget....

al613 and Bobofoosh like this.
  18. spkg
    • Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Freddie Listo likes this.
  19. vbroucek
    • Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Just tried it and it failed really badly... [​IMG]

20. vike
    • Original Member

vike Silver Member

Not bad. Should help with my trip to Europe in May.

21. Bobofoosh
    • Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Maybe everyone else already realized this but buzz now has a map tool much like farecompare:

http://www.kayak.com/explore

FrankieC likes this.
  22. peteyboy100
    • Original Member

peteyboy100 Active Member

I could not agree with this sentiment more. I really hope MilePoint doesn't turn into the same place.

Also, I use airfarewatchdog to achieve the goal that you are looking for. You can also enter just a destination with the same effect.

daninstl and hulagrrl210 like this.
  23. al613
    • Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Dog monitors forums. It's good for dog users. :)

24. Sean
    • Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Not when deals are gone forever. Then its good for no one. The only one who came out ahead of the dog scandal was the dog himself with additional page views to his site. The FD disappeared shortly after he blogged about it. So even those who read his blog likely didn't get to take advantage of it. It was a shameless publicity grab.[​IMG]

al613 likes this.
  25. al613
    • Original Member

al613 Silver Member

You are correct on this one.