1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Wednesday, August 20th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you in advance for your understanding.

Travel Insurance: CSP vs. Travel Guard

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Efilon87, Jan 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Debating whether or not I need to buy additional travel insurance for my parents cruise. My dad is an authorized user on my CSP account, and the entire trip (air + hotel + cruise + transfers) will be paid with that authorized card; qualifying them for those travel insurance benefits.

Now, do you recommend that I get additional travel insurance through one of those sites like TravelGuard or is the CSP Travel Insurance sufficient? I have always had additional insurance when I have traveled, but I never paid for it, since it was provided by the school I was traveling with. I have always had it when traveling, but never needed to file a claim.

Trip Details:
    200k United Miles used for *A Business Award
    3 Nights at AVA Hotel and Suites in Athens
    7 Night cruise on Princess Cruise Line
    3 Nights at Waldorf Astoria in Rome (Hilton Award)

Thanks for your help/advice!!
    Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  2. gleff
    • Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Not a fan of travel insurance generally, or put a different way I 'self insure'

But if you're going to take out an additional policy, travelguard is probably the best company to do it with, they have a reputation for actually paying out claims. ;)
    Blue Skye, Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Have you looked at insuremytrip.com?

DTWBOB
  4. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

I use TravelSafe when I need travel insurance for big trips (3 wks+ out of country) and some cruises. cruise cancellation policies are pretty strict. That said, in the past when a cruise had mechanical issues causing a cancellation en route it was not covered by insurance.
    When I use miles or points for air/hotel when cruising I exclude those costs and I insure cruise costs only. With miles/points you can cancel trip, and pay fee to redeposit.
    I would look at reasons you want/need the insurance and go from there -
    Deal2020, Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  5. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

If im not mistaken, the CSP Travel insurance covers pretty much everything except for medical, right? Because if thats the case, then I just need to get a medical policy, which is much less expensive than a full policy.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Speaking of travel insurance... looking at emergency medical evac insurance for my wife who's going to travel to a African country with very limited medical care. TravelGuard wants $222 for a one-year policy, which I am willing to pay, but I don't know how it compares feature-wise and price-wise. Anyone with experience?
  7. Ed Chandler
    • Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

I'm interested to hear opinions as well.

My wife and I are going to hike the Camino to Santiago in March, and while I have no doubts about my ability to hump a pack and march 15 miles a day ... my wife has been somewhat less vigilant in her preparation.

Because my concerns are health-related, I'll point out that one difference between the CSP travel benefits and a travel insurance policy is that the CSP appears to cover things like trip cancellations and delays, lost luggage, and other "logistics" problems, but doesn't do anything other than "help coordinate" medical problems (short of accidental death and dismemberment, of course).
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

I always imagined some call center agent googling a doctor's address for you. Does anyone have concrete experiences with that benefit?
  9. Ed Chandler
    • Original Member

Of course not. They never made it home. ;-)
  10. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

I have used IHI Bupa for many years. They are based in Denmark and are one of the largest travel insurers. They provide emergency referrals and advice, provide medical evacuation to home country if needed. Their services, I am happy to say, I have never needed.

However, another customer of my broker had a serious fall in Nepal, and Bupa handled everything including a helicopter to an airplane to get him to a suitable facility. He chose to have a closer facility than to his home country and IHI arranged and paid for it all. That has made me happy to continue. Their prices vary by age and have some options also, including trip cancellation, although I know nothing about that product.

Most of the travel insurance options I looked at including the major US ones, were quite restrictive and had lots of exclusions. I do not know how they are now because I never have considered changing from IHI.
    Deal2020 and Kalboz like this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Thanks. I am mainly interested in protections against catastrophic problems. Trip cancellation for most of our trips would not be financially disastrous.

I'll take a look at IHI.

Edit: ran a quick quote on their site, and it seems cheaper to get an annual cover than just a single trip (for one month).
    Deal2020, Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

I'm certain there are many good options, I just do not personally know about them.
    Kalboz likes this.
  13. cmj542
    • Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

I've always used World Nomads. It's relatively inexpensive, and although I've never had to file a claim, a good friend did and said their customer service was great. I've seen it recommended by a couple of travel blogs. Bootsnall, a travel site, has a pretty good comparison chart for travel insurance.
    http://www.bootsnall.com/travel-insurance/travel-medical-insurance.html
  14. Ed Chandler
    • Original Member

This is the direction I've been leaning.
  15. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Bootsnall shows why I have liked IHI. The absence of limits is a big deal for me. I suspect if I ever need it I'll be in a very odd place, and including a traveling companion in the evacuation is a big deal to me too.

I now hope none of us ever need the insurance we buy!!
    Kalboz and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  16. cmj542
    • Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

17. Deal2020

Deal2020 Silver Member

Great info! I usually only rely on the insurances come with credit cards. Do not know if it is sufficient.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  18. guinnessxyz

guinnessxyz Gold Member

jbcarioca likes this.