UA To End EWR-CPH/IAD-ACC, make EWR-FCO seasonal, other changes

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by EWR764, Apr 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. EWR764
    • Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

http://airlineroute.net/2012/04/02/ua-europe-w12/

Additional changes (not noted on that site):
    - IAD-ACC terminates July 1, station will close
    - EWR-CPH terminates September 23, station will close
    - EWR-FCO is dropped for most of the winter but the station will remain open with IAD-FCO service
    - IAD-DME to summer-seasonal

Further, some day-of-week schedule cuts come to a number of transatlantic routes from various hubs, although ORD-BRU goes daily this winter.

On a positive note, it is confirmed that the 767-300ER (reconfigured 67E) is coming to IAD-CDG, as discussed previously.

Rumored changes from credible sources on another site indicate 763ER service on 1x EWR-LHR and the early UA EWR-FRA, IAD-AMS. As noted, these are slated to replace 757 frequencies.

Sean Colahan, Switch2 and LETTERBOY like this.
  2. DIG/R_1K
    • Original Member

DIG/R_1K Gold Member

Guess I'll get the CPH-EWR line before it ends :D

DeacFlyer1 and desamo like this.
  3. legalalien
    • Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

IAD-DME loads have been very light, so no surprise. SQ still flies IAH-DME, but it's quite a detour to catch a non-stop from US to MOW on *A.

4. Scottrick
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Megan really wants to go back to CPH someday. I guess that will be coming sooner than I expected.

5. EWR764
    • Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

The SQ flight has been struggling too. Recently, an article described it as the worst-performing route in SQ's US portfolio, explaining the frequency cut. I'm not sure if the SIN-DME segment has fared much better, all of which is mildly surprising given the spike in oil prices and consequential increase in demand for oil exploration and production (IAH/DME/SIN all strong markets for such activity).

6. Seacarl
    • Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Does SK participate in the NATL ATI JV with AC, LH? I think so, so service is maintained on SK.
    You can get there on SK, or via plenty of FRA or ZRH or many other connex
    UA said it was growing international capacity. On the whole there is reduction, not growth here

7. EWR764
    • Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

SK is not part of the transatlantic JV, although EWR-CPH service remains (for now).

EWR-IST and upgauges on routes from 752 > 67E will drive much of those capacity increases, although word is more changes (including route announcement/s) are in order.

8. Seacarl
    • Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

What's in store for the 752's with BF seating? I wonder if some of them will become the new ps birds (adding another 10 C seats)

But on the whole we are seeing more reductions than expansions announced internationally. E.g. IAD-CDG is going from 2 752's to 1 763. And the route cancelations. One IST trip doesn't add more capacity than all the reductions already announced. In addition to the 763 conversions, there are also 787's entering the fleet. And they've announced domestic capacity reductions. So one does wonder what the international fleet will be doing. I've believed they aren't parking the 744's since they added the IPTE.

9. EWR764
    • Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

It's possible, but as of now the plan is to reconfigure sUA 757s for the new p.s. service, though not necessarily the current fleet as some are scheduled to be returned to lessors or retired in the next few years. Keeping the sCO 752s as-is allows 16J 757s to be swapped in or scheduled on off-peak p.s. frequencies as well, since the onboard product will be the same.

EWR-IST is a big one in terms of ASMs, and probably negates the frequency reduction on IAD-CDG and cancellation of EWR-CPH. IAD-MAN/DUB are added for the summer, and while they are replacing EWR frequencies, the additional ~200mi of flying results in a marginal ASM increase yoy on those. Same goes for EWR-EZE replacing IAD-EZE. Upgauges of 757 > 67E result in gains of 45 seats per frequency, so IAD-AMS, EWR-FRA, etc. will see growth. Plus, IAH-AKL is slated to start sometime in 2012. Add in a new route announcement or two and I think 2-3% international growth is realistic.

As for the 744s, at least one IPTE ship has been parked in the last year and that fleet will only be shrinking, sadly.

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Am I the only person who suddenly checked prices on flights to Ghana?

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  11. Seacarl
    • Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

I guess it also allows for a ps-lite service on transcons with less premium demand

I didn't realize the are parking 744s with IPTE. That is truly sad. I like that aircraft.

I'm still hoping there will eventually be a 748 order...

LETTERBOY and desamo like this.
  12. Scottrick
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

It would be nice to fly SEA-EWR-CPH using some of my SWUs.

desamo likes this.
  13. EWR764
    • Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Me too, my friend. :)

Jump on it while you still can... until 9/23!

LETTERBOY and desamo like this.
  14. HeathrowGuy
    • Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

United does enjoy ATI with SK, although it is separate from the JV with LH and AC.

15. jimyvr
    • Original Member

jimyvr Active Member

16. Misplaced Texan
    • Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Yes. ;)

17. Golfingboy
    • Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

EWR-IST has already seen frequency cuts for the winter season :( Going from 1x daily to .6 [4x a week].

18. EWR764
    • Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

I thought it was 5x for Nov/Dec?

19. EWR764
    • Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

I reported the FCO/DME seasonal cuts as that information has apparently been transmitted to the stations.

Outstanding site, by the way. Truly a fantastic resource.

Does that agreement include revenue sharing? That must be an old agreement, I suspect it might even predate Star Alliance.

20. Golfingboy
    • Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

You are right:

UA EWR-IST OCT 1.0>0.9 NOV 1.0>0.7 DEC 1.0>0.7

For some reason, I thought Dec was going down to 0.6.

21. jimyvr
    • Original Member

jimyvr Active Member

FCO and DME is closed for Winter season as of 07APR12 schedule update.

IAD FRA will also cut from 2 to 1 Daily, as well as other cuts
    http://airlineroute.net/2012/04/09/ua-europe-w12update2/

22. Seacarl
    • Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

IAD-FRA has been 3 daily for a long time. I think it is being cut to 2 daily. Problem is that the late flight back to IAD makes very few connections

23. Seacarl
    • Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Still seems to me that there are a lot more cuts than adds so it is hard to know whether the planned international growth is unless there are more new routes going to be announced.

24. jimyvr
    • Original Member

jimyvr Active Member

Sorry. typo on my side. Should be reduce from 3 to 2 daily.

25. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

In the winter maybe. But this flight fills up in Business and First class, coach is half empty usually.
    I've been downgraded not once but twice. C->Y.