United Airlines toolbar - an easy way to keep your account alive

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Gary Steiger, Mar 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

• Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Download the Mileage Plus Shopping Toolbar, then use it to do Yahoo searches. Receive 1 mile/3 successful searches, up to 100 miles/month. This is a very easy way to keep your United miles account active. This works the same way as the toolbars for U.S. Airways and American Airlines. I successfully use all three.
    dkelly1110 and sagefemme52 like this.
    • Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member

Thanks for posting this. I was actually talking to a coworker about this yesterday. While you can't earn a lot of miles with the toolbar, it will definitely help keep your account active.
    european28 likes this.
    • Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

• Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

But then you have to do Yahoo searches. And they'll track you everywhere you go online. And knowing Yahoo, probably sell that information to others. Ick.
    Concerto likes this.
    • Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member

Actually, Yahoo has a much better privacy policy among the major online companies. If you are really concerned about your privacy, you need to stay far far away from Facebook, Google. With their acquisition of Double Click, the amount of tracking Google can do where ever you go is incredible. All Android phones required a Google account! I don't think I need to say much about Facebook...
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

True, stay away from Facebook. I guess I just find it annoying that every piece of freeware or shareware I install also tries to install a Yahoo tool bar as a default option.
    • Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

The downfall so far of these toolbars is compatible only for Firefox and IE. I usually use Chrome so waiting on some additions. Let's see, Google Chrome to do Yahoo! searches? Could work ...
    [Like others, thanks for the post.]
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Does Chrome have toolbars? I love using it, partly because of the minimalist interface. I guess that's really my reason for not liking toolbars... it always takes away another half inch of my screen space. If anyone knows of an example of a toolbar that works on Chrome, I'd be interested in seeing it.
    • Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Jaguar likes this.
    • Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member

I use Chrome too, but based on the current Chrome philosophy, they will not let toolbars to exist within the browser. As you can see from all the add-ons in the Chrome gallery, they use a button on the address bar, which you can click on to open a toolbar like panel underneath the address bar. The experience is a little subpar, but Chrome doesn't want to have users ending up with a lot of toolbars within the browser...
    • Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member

no toolbars for Chrome, because they have made the decision not to provide API's that will allow toolbars :) There are a few hacks that will mimic a toolbar, but they end up causing more problems than they solve...
    • Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

I was unable to find a 250 mile bonus or any other bonus for downloading this toolbar. And when I click on you link, I get a page that does not mention this bonus.

Please explain. Thanks.
    hulagrrl210 likes this.
    • Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

when you click the link, it is written on the top. The first line says. You will earn 250 bonus award miles.
  1. hashj01 Active Member

A nice perk to the search toolbar to help you get your 300 searches/month in, are to simply keep clicking through to the next page of results displayed for your search. So, for example, if you like to search for news in the airline industry, you can keep clicking through each page of the search results and earn one search per page. It's something I accidently figured out, but works nicely--especially when you're wanting to make searching easier and not get any "invalid" searches.
    dkelly1110 and penguin085 like this.
    • Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

That's not a bad thing. You install all the ridiculous, cluttered toolbars on an unused browser. Earn a few miles a month per program, keep them active, and then don't open IE or Firefox until the following month.

Or computer and/or IT geeks like me can simply install on a sandboxed or virtual machine browser, then blow it away when done. Even Windows 7 gives you "Windows XP Mode" which is a full copy of Windows XP running as a virtual machine. Run all the crapware within that. Easy.

But where's the 1000 sign-up miles for this?! Similar to the US bonus for their toolbar.
    • Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Why not just hit the airline shopping portal and make a small purchase to keep it active. The DL portal even allowed Home Depot gift card purchases. Seems just as easy and you're then not cluttered with yet another toolbar.
    • Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Still haven't received my 250 miles everyone is talking about :confused:
    • Original Member

sun Silver Member

If you use firefox, you can have multiple profiles. Just put all these toolbars in a separate profile.
    penguin085 likes this.
    • Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

terms state the miles will post within 10 weeks.