1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

United MileagePlus Explorer -- Primary CDW Coverage

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by edekba, Jun 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Hi I hope this is the right place; since this doesnt really have anything to do with Chase or MP but just a feature of the card I wasn't quite sure where it would go. But Basically does anyone have a good definition or explanation defining the differences between Primary/Secondary CDW coverage on rental cards? I got the email offer for the 65k and it says offer ends 6/30/12 so I thought I would try to get it now, but wanted more information regarding the CDW coverage it provides.

From what I've gathered the way it goes down is this.
    • Primary
      • You get into something; Visa/Amex etc pays for the entire charge. Nothing out of pocket for you & no record to the DMV insurance people.
    • Secondary
      • You first have to claim the damage from your personal Auto Insurance; Thus having a ding on your record and possibly increasing your rates.
      • Then you claim the deductible and any excess that your primary personal insurance wouldn't cover.
    Is that right?
    Does anyone have any experience with using the CDW this card or of a primary coverage card (I think Amex Plat is also primary)?

---
    What do you know; I just got another email saying this offer expires 7/6/12.

Jett Rink and harvson3 like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

That's my interpretation and I fortunately don't have any hands-on experience with it yet.

harvson3 and edekba like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

That's a Good Thing :)

harvson3 likes this.
  4. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

edekba and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

The primary coverage from the credit card is only for the rental car. It doesn't give you liability insurance.

That said, state law in California (and presumably all/most other states) requires liability insurance. The minimum required is pretty low (and I certainly have a much higher liability coverage on my own car). So... is the car rental agency required to have liability (via insurance or self-insurance) on their fleet? Will that cover damage you cause or will they come after you?

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

so all these CDW is basicaly the rental car protection. If you hit something/someone else your primary personal insurance would still be involved; just not for the repair/damage to the rental car.

bleh

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Well, CDW purchased from the car rental agency is also only covering the rental car, not anything you cause damage to.

8. Wandering Aramean
    • Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Also check the fine print VERY carefully on the coverage offered. Another member noted recently that he got screwed by the UA card primary coverage because it maxes out at 15 day rentals or something like that and his was longer.

9. SFOPhD

SFOPhD Active Member

Apologies for the necro... But I have a bad feeling that the CDW of this card is no longer primary...

I noticed that this is no longer listed on the chase online benefits page.

http://www4.chasecreditcards.com/MPY...rce=navigation

Also, when I obtained by benefits listing in writing, I noticed the wording under "Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver":

"In your country of residence, this benefit is supplemental to, and excess of, any valid and collectible insurance from any other source"
    and
    "We will reimburse only for that damage or theft not payable by any other party"
    and
    "What is not covered?" ""Expenses reimbursable by your insurer, employer, or employer's insurance."

Sounds like secondary coverage to me... Am I misinterpreting or did Chase change its terms recently?

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Your URL is broken.

I went to http://www4.chasecreditcards.com/MPYoureIn30kAFW.aspx and expanded the "Enjoy the assurances of better protection" section. There I see

Spend and travel without worry with exceptional purchase and travel protection benefits, including purchase protection and primary auto rental coverage.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

12. SFOPhD

SFOPhD Active Member

Thanks for fixing my cut and paste problem with the url. I see the mention of primary coverage in the link now, but the wording in the benefits guide concerns me... It doesn't sound like primary coverage.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

I'd agree with that. Can you confirm with Customer Service via Secure Messaging what the situation is? I don't have that card, but I am using the Club Card for car rentals due to the primary insurance coverage. Might have to re-verify (though I don't recall getting any change notice).

14. SFOPhD

SFOPhD Active Member

I don't recall any change notice either, but to be honest I mostly just check the APR when those come in and ignore the rest...

I'll try to confirm with Chase. If anyone else knows anything, we'd appreciate the input.

edekba likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

I never check the APR since I never carry a balance, but I also try to see if there are any insurance policy changes snuck in.

16. JoeCortez

JoeCortez Silver Member

I did some digging of my own, and it appears that the Secondary CDW is a Visa-wide change, not just on this particular card. I looked up the current comparison chart on Wikipedia - which should be taken with a grain of salt, as we all know how reliable it can be. So to augment that, I looked it up on Visa's website. From their site:

So it appears that its all secondary to...well, everything. Insert sad trombone here.

Disclaimer: Observations in this post are those of the author alone. This post should not be considered actual insurance advice.

SuperKirby likes this.
  17. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Did anyone ever find out if United card's "Primary CDW" is actually only Secondary due to it being a Visa? "this benefit is supplemental to, and excess of, any valid and collectible insurance from any other source. We will reimburse only for that damage or theft not payable by any other party."

18. richardfredy

richardfredy Member

as an exception i don't have that much experience in using this card -

SuperKirby likes this.