1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, September 16th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

United plane runs out of toilet paper during 11-hour flight before offering passengers napkins

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sobore, Jun 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    • Original Member

sobore Gold Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ur-flight-San-Francisco-London.html?ito=feeds-

Passengers on an 11-hour United Airlines flight were outraged when the plane ran out of toilet paper during the journey.
    Flight 931 was on its way from San Francisco to London on June 16 when crew made the unfortunate discovery.
    Their response however has sent the story viral - as flight crew, apparently without irony, placed napkins in the bathroom as a makeshift solution. The branded napkins read: 'Fly by the tips of your fingers.'

[​IMG]

Read More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ur-flight-San-Francisco-London.html?ito=feeds-
    wheat27, HeathrowGuy, Aktchi and 3 others like this.
  2. viguera
    • Original Member

viguera Gold Member

well that's a crappy situation.

(let the puns begin)
    davef139, HeathrowGuy, boondr and 8 others like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

4. MX

MX Gold Member

UA is stepping into lots of stinky piles this week. Heck, they couldn't even spell "toilet" right for the picture.
    Aktchi and uggboy like this.
  5. Mackieman
    • Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

At least that's 2-ply. Better than some of the stuff in the United Clubs.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Seriously wondering how that flight didn't have to make an unscheduled stop.

I was on an AA DFW-HNL flight and it was discovered that the lavs were too full, so we had to turn back to SFO for an unscheduled stop.
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    • Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

United Airlines: We're #1 in #2.
  8. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Shoulda just cut up their intl "blankets". About the same thickness as 2-ply TP.
    boondr, Aktchi, sobore and 1 other person like this.
  9. Captain Oveur
    • Original Member

2-ply?
    viguera and guberif like this.
  10. mrx900
    • Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Use water and skip the paper--works for all the Middle Eastern airlines
  11. Aktchi
    • Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

United should have blamed in on weather/atc, and restricted free napkins to elites who met the minimum spend requirement. :)

Anyway, this shows that all carriers should think of moving towards Japanese style toilets.
  12. kwai
    • Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Ah that term always brings back memories of a Seinfeld episode with Jamie Gertz. :D
  13. paladin87
    • Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Well actually, now to get toilet paper you have to spend $3500 a year on UA coded flights and drop a deuce in no less than 3 separate UA toilets on UA metal. Otherwise, there is a $125 fee for toilet paper when requested during the flight, unless you prepaid for it during booking, at which time it is only $75. A change you'll like.
    sobore likes this.
  14. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Jaja it really does :eek:
  15. lhrsfo
    • Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

I wonder if it was the first meal service that did it - causing a spike in demand and therefore a run on the facilities.
    sobore likes this.
  16. gleff
    • Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Ran out of toilet paper at least suggests they started out with some. I've flown a UA RJ that never had any in the first place. And they didn't offer napkins. (Fortunately I didn't have a material personal need)
    sobore likes this.
  17. milchap
    • Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Note to self: bring a roll of toilet paper when flying UA.
  18. milchap
    • Original Member

milchap Gold Member

According to The Sun, crew noticed the Boeing 777 travelling from San Francisco to London had exhausted its supply of loo paper as they prepared to takeoff - but there wasn't enough time to restock.

Hey UA. It is time revise the Minimum Equipment List.
    Get all paper work done and then fly. !
    sobore likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

A wise choice to not delay the flight to wait for restocking? I think not.
    sobore, viguera and milchap like this.
  20. viguera
    • Original Member

viguera Gold Member

But you have to assume that you're going to need toilet paper for such a long flight, no? :)

I mean I think you can do without sugar (maybe) or diet coke, but things like toilet paper or water are probably on the "must have" list.
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Right. And shouldn't you assume that once you run out, this will make it into the media?
    viguera likes this.
  22. viguera
    • Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Good point.

I've been in plenty of flights where they ran out of coffee or cookies or whatever... I don't think I've ever thought about complaining too loudly, although I might make a passing mention if somebody asks how the flight was.

But I'm sure if the flight ran out of something like this plenty of people would be making a point to bring it up as soon as they could. :)
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

It made it onto the local "news" here in the Bay Area. I think it was one of those days when they didn't have a 787 diversion to "report" on, but it sure made my wife listen up and shake her head.
    DIG/R_1K and viguera like this.
  24. Captain Oveur
    • Original Member

Link to video/story?
  25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

milchap likes this.