Waldorf Astoria Orlando / Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Horse, Apr 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

• Original Member

Horse Gold Member

I am thinking of staying at either of these hotels on an upcoming trip to Walt Disney World. I normally stay on Disney property so I am accustomed to transfers to and from MCO by Disney, Extra Magic Hours, and convenient park transportation.

Has anyone stayed at either hotel? I do not plan on renting a car, so I am also curious as to how well the hotel(s) provide transportation to the park. If you did not rent a car, how did you get to the hotel? Is one hotel more adult-friendly than the other? I will not be travelling with children.

Any information would be appreciated.
    BeachMiles, jerry a. laska and Chimpy like this.
    • Original Member

sobore Gold Member

My Cousin has stayed several time at the Waldorf Astoria Orlando, he has plenty of praise for the property. One positive thing about the property is the management has a strong desire to please and when things occasionally go wrong, they will work very hard to make it right.
    jerry a. laska and Horse like this.
    • Original Member

jerry a. laska Gold Member

Haven't stayed. From the reports on FT most people seem to like the two resorts with a few recommendations saying the HiltonBC is better for kids. Supposedly the WA pool is quieter and less kid friendly, more adult friendly. Buses are supposed to be every 1/2 hour during busy times to the Disney Transit center and DT Disney. Mears Transportation offers a shuttle from the airport for ~$34 per adult, sometimes you can find a coupon code online for $4-5 off.

Have stayed at the Hilton Downtown Disney because it gets the extra magic hours which Bonnet Creek and WA don't. Small pool. Twice an hour shuttle bus to the DTC. The buses are sometimes packed at prime times and you have to wait for another but one usually mysteriously appears in 5 - 10 mins. After you've stayed onsite at the Disney properties the bus ride is sometimes annoying especially when returning from the park late at night (monorail to transportation center, then wait for the bus, then bus to hotel).
    Horse likes this.
    • Original Member

danimal Gold Member

We stayed at the Hilton BC in March. Both sides are nice. As you would expect, the WA is more formal. We had dinner twice at the Bull & Bear - an awesome steakhouse on the WA side. I would highly recommend the Bull & Bear. You can sign charges to your Hilton room for WA activities.

I would agree with jerry a. laska that the Hilton BC is more kid friendly - they are set up better to accomodate kids. The lazy river was nice for my niece to play around in. We walked over to the WA side and did not see too many kids. The WA side reminded me of Las Vegas with the cabana like setups.

We also used the shuttle bus to visit Downtown Disney several times during our stay and found it very easy and convenient. Although the ride was short (~10 minutes), our driver put movies on for the kids (the adults liked them also!)
    Horse likes this.
    • Original Member

Horse Gold Member

I'm kids-free so it sounds like WA would be a better choice. Aside from the outdoor activities, which hotel is the nicest to stay in?

I don't eat mammal meat, but I do eat seafood and poultry. Do you think Bull and Bear has several choices for me?

Do you recall how long it takes to get to the parks? Which park is closest and which is furthest?

Thank you everyone for your input. My next trip will be at a hotel on Disney property, but I am looking forward to planning another visit soon.
    • Original Member

danimal Gold Member

Several in our group enjoyed their non mammal meat meals. One had the scallops and one had the seared tuna. The starters are also very good. The Caesar salads are prepared table-side. I had the heirloom tomato caprese salad two times because I enjoyed it so much the first time. The current menu link is: http://www.waldorfastoriaorlando.com/assets/files/B&B Current.pdf

We didn't use the shuttles to the Disney parks - only Downtown Disney at night. The hotels are "almost" on property so I think that they would not be more than 10-15 minutes away. On this trip, we went to Sea World and Universal for Harry Potter. We stayed at the Hilton Bonnet Creek because the main purpose of the trip was a conference that was held in the convention center that is between the two hotels.
    Horse likes this.
    • Original Member

Horse Gold Member

danimal, thank you for the link to the restaurant. I will have to make time for dinner there one night.

Did the hotel offer shuttle service to Sea World and Universal as well? I'm aware of their shuttle to WDW, but haven't heard about the others. Thank you for all this fantastic information!
    BeachMiles likes this.
    • Original Member

danimal Gold Member

Unfortunately the hotel does not offer shuttles to Sea World or Universal. We ended up renting a car from Hertz (they have a rental center at the Hilton).

I think that there are buses that go out to the other attractions, but our time was tight so we opted for the car. The car was also useful to pick up some water and snacks at the grocery store since the park prices are so high! Also, we always go straight to Member Services (to the left after the entrance) at Sea World to get a free second day pass that can be used within 7 days.

Have fun in Orlando!
    Horse likes this.