1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

What are milepoint points?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ossipago, Nov 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    • Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Mrs. G says the same thing ;) :p

LXJenkins, Chimpy, zpaul and 3 others like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

In addition to what ossipago wrote, note that with some browsers the "likes" count only refreshes when the page refreshes. For example, If I click your handle, look at the Likes Received, then I like your post and look at your "Likes Received" again, the number will not have changed- unless I refresh my browser.

3. Dovster
    • Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

What I want to know is why ossipago did not try "search" before posting his question! :mad:

(Oops, wrong bulletin board. :oops: )

4. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Because real life Milepointers provide funnier answers than search engine do. :D

LXJenkins, cvsara, Chimpy and 8 others like this.
  5. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Actually, I did search. I just happened to use the wrong words. Like I said in my OP, searching for points wasn't much help.

6. Dovster
    • Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

That's no excuse (at least on TOBB).

LXJenkins, Chimpy, zpaul and 5 others like this.
  7. Gargoyle
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

(note that the OP might not get the TOBB reference... it refers to "that other bulletin board")

LXJenkins, zpaul, Dovster and 3 others like this.
  8. 744
    • Original Member

744 Gold Member

Help, I need a moderator to shut this thread down.......:D

LXJenkins, Chimpy, zpaul and 6 others like this.
  9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

I've been on here since July, and I've always thought that Al Gorythm who links status to numbers of points must really be Al Gorythm Jr., son of the guy who introduced Aadvantage Gold in the 1980s, when there were no announced cutoffs and instead the point number for Gold had to be the top 2 percent of the square root of your paternal grandmother's birth year in your particular market, or something like that. (And his cousin, Algo X. Friendlyskies, controls the current cut-offs for UA's "Global Services.")

LXJenkins, zpaul, jmrich1432 and 5 others like this.
  10. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

Sounds like you have hacked into Al's secret file and discovered the answer we've all been looking for for the past nine months. Congrats. You get a prize of 14.6753727765423 status points, which you will be cash in the Award Store after you reach Unobtainium Status in 138 millenia.

LXJenkins, Chimpy, zpaul and 5 others like this.
  11. misman
    • Original Member

misman Gold Member

Don't think I can add anything except for a

Giant Welcome

12. DIG/R_1K
    • Original Member

DIG/R_1K Gold Member

+ 1 Welcome to TOBB I mean... MilePoint =)

LXJenkins, zpaul and miles and smiles like this.
  13. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

I am more confused now than I was when ossipago started this thread a couple weeks ago. The main quandary is that "status points" seemed to be awarded with about each 25 "likes" or so during the first one hundred "likes." After that, my points have not changed at 310, even though "likes" have gone up to 125, then 150, 175, 200 and now about 225. Are no points awarded past 100 "likes," or is Al Gorithim on vacation, or. . . .?

(And yes, I still have been posting new things as well - some of the new posts have been what have drawn the new "likes," but points haven't moved. Weird.)

LXJenkins, zpaul, Dovster and 2 others like this.
  14. cennas
    • Original Member

cennas Gold Member

I think once you get past the first few hundreds "likes", it is becoming harder to earn points from "likes". For example, the last points I received from number of "likes" was when I hit 1000 "likes", now at 1949 likes, I have not received any more points from "likes".

LXJenkins, lwkatya, Chimpy and 5 others like this.
  15. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

I figured that points would get progressively more difficult to earn. Like Diablo - the first few hits are free. But at that rate of accumulation, it seems a massive undertaking to get to gold status.

LXJenkins, Chimpy, zpaul and 6 others like this.
  16. ACMM
    • Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Perseverance... activity ... posting ... content ... it all adds up ...

17. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

After your initial posts and likes, the intervals between receiving status points are longer, but the amount of points your receive are larger.
    As ACMM shared above, you got to post here to get likes and status points. You don't get status points for lurking, for flying, for posting on TOBB or even for having a cute avatar. You gotta post!

LXJenkins, Chimpy, zpaul and 2 others like this.
  18. ACMM
    • Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

No points for a cute avatar!!?? :eek: :p

19. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

Well, if I got gold status with my mug, it's pretty obvious that there ain't no beauty contest coming down. :p

20. cennas
    • Original Member

cennas Gold Member

I'm at 925 points at the moment, I've heard it takes 1000 points to get Gold. I thought I would get it when I hit 750 points, but nope, no points awarded for 750 posts :( fingers crossed I would reach Gold when I get 2000 likes :)

As you said, it is becoming very difficult to earn points once you're past the first few hundreds.

LXJenkins, lwkatya, Chimpy and 5 others like this.
  21. Gargoyle
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

It had been a combination of 1000 points and 6 months, and you have six months and you hit 1000 points 19 minutes ago. In some cases in the past the status award came in the sweep 1 hour after the points award, so lets watch things 41 minutes from now- you are our new test case. :p

22. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

Indeed, at 9:40 am EST, you are GOLD, Cennas.
    Congrats!

23. cennas
    • Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Wow, indeed. Thank you miles and smiles! I'm blown away!

24. cennas
    • Original Member

cennas Gold Member

I'm officially a Gold member now :) thanks :) really made my day :)

LXJenkins, lwkatya, Chimpy and 4 others like this.
  25. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

Randy and the whole Milepoint team are the ones to thank (and they're the ones who will be sending you goodies ;))

LXJenkins, Chimpy, zpaul and 2 others like this.