What are milepoint points?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ossipago, Nov 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

• Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Just requested the goodies through the Award Store! Can't wait :)
    LXJenkins, lwkatya, zpaul and 3 others like this.
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

would mine qualify as cute?
    we're all just enjoying this place, and we can't resist looking under the hood and trying to figure out what makes it tick. Just like what we do with frequent flier and other loyalty programs. :)
    • Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Goodies must be requested remember ... Cennas, go to the milePoint award store ... click More->Award Store at the top of the page ...

I see you already knew :)

LXJenkins, Chimpy, cennas and 2 others like this.
    • Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Of course I already knew, I wouldn't have deserved the Gold member status if I didn't know :p

Thanks, I love MP, it's amazing how everyone is so friendly and helpful here :)
  1. TravelMusing Gold Member

:eek: Darn... I was hoping to get bonus points for my avatar! :p

Lovely thread... I thoroughly enjoyed the bantering among the members here in MP... I am totally migrating from TOBB! Only have that much time to dedicate to a BB, you know... :D

I'll still lurk in TOBB though... :D
    LXJenkins, flyingdawg, cennas and 3 others like this.
    • Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Never fear, your avatar will garner you many likes (and quite a few licks from the fruit lovers). :p
    LXJenkins, flyingdawg, cennas and 2 others like this.
    • Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Cats lick too! :)

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)
    LXJenkins, Chimpy, chrislacey and 3 others like this.
  2. meFIRST Silver Member

How many points does it take to get Gold status?
    Are there any challenges
    ?
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

At the moment it seems to be a combination of 1000 points and six months membership, and silver seems to be 100 points and 3 months membership, but Al Gorithm is a fickle dude... he shifts under our feet.
    We challenge you to make a lot of interesting posts, and in exchange we'll like them. :D
    LXJenkins, zpaul, Chimpy and 4 others like this.
  3. meFIRST Silver Member

If flyertalk had status, I would ask for a match.

Member since October 2000. Gone downhill ever since.
    LXJenkins, flyingdawg, ceieoc and 4 others like this.
  4. ossipago Silver Member

What was flyertalk like in 2000? Why do you say it has gone downhill? I'm very curious.
    LXJenkins, Chimpy, zpaul and 3 others like this.
    • Original Member

cennas Gold Member

+1 ! :)
    LXJenkins, lwkatya, Chimpy and 4 others like this.
    • Original Member

misman Gold Member

It was a lot like MP is today (joined Nov. 1999)
    LXJenkins, zpaul, flyingdawg and 2 others like this.
  5. ossipago Silver Member

I guess I wanted to know more in particular what you don't like about it today. What features make it so undesirable these days?
    LXJenkins, zpaul and Gargoyle like this.
  6. grandma/pa Member

Hi, I am not keen on computers and hopefully, I am posting these questions correctly. We are seniors (70+) and we need advice --should we wait for United to merge into Continental or sign up and combine the points now. We have 40,000 with United and 120,000 with Continental. Thanks
    LXJenkins, Chimpy, zpaul and 3 others like this.
    • Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Welcome. I would recommend signing up and combine the points now, so you can take advantage of any special offers that may only be available on one side or the other.
  7. meFIRST Silver Member

Hmm. I disagree. Back then FT was filled with a lot of people who actually travelled, very often for work, or aspired to. It was a smaller place, quality of participants was high. Among those active were : Gaucho100K, who was living in Asia at the time, shuttling between SIN and CGK and OzStamps SIN-EZE, by way of US. I still think he travels this route frequently.

While there are a lof of people who travel on FT , there are way more tastless freeloaders now, who got their miles through churns (fair enough) now. And coin deposits, up to $20K . OMG These same people tend to exercise their "I want something for nothing" beliefs at the airport and check in desks. In the most tasteless possible way, which to me borders on rude to arrogant with a mixture of entitlement, full knowing they are not entitiled to it. I supposed if they asked they should get it?. These people have no shame.

The freeloading excess continued though the 2000s, with the infamous MLE-CMB EK F deal, which flyertalkers milked to the hilt. Fair enough. I actually could not travel back then and took a hiatus off FT. I heard the guy at EK who was partly responsible for this mess loss his job ( I supposed he deserved it).

These same people stayed on. I am seeing a lot more bad behavior than in the past. Then I got to find out that certain mods, uberposters, were given comps/gratis status by the same airline they they were allegedly "moderating" and went out of their way to delete negative posts/hijack threads. Status at unpublished leves : (example : ConciegeKey) .

That would never happen 10 years ago.

Anyway, YMMV.
    LXJenkins, zpaul, flyingdawg and 4 others like this.
  8. ossipago Silver Member

Thank you for the insights. I can see your points, though I wonder if people really do behave worse now or if it is simply a combination of more forthrightness and more experience with the site.

LXJenkins, Chimpy, cennas and 3 others like this.
    • Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Welcome to MP, grandma/pa!
    LXJenkins, lwkatya, Chimpy and 6 others like this.
  9. meFIRST Silver Member

Ok, so I am Silver. Is anyone Platinum?. Even SBM12, who I have seen personally toting his trusty netbook, flipping between Mile point and FT, posting every single inquiry at record speed, is only a gold member.

Randy should realize that the frequent flyer crowd is not accustomed to waiting.
    LXJenkins, Chimpy, sc801 and 2 others like this.
    • Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

You mean this sbm12? No posts, no likes, and not here since Feb 04?? Not getting gold any time soon.

LXJenkins, Chimpy, zpaul and 2 others like this.
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

According to the user profile, sbm12 is an active MP'er under a different handle, Wanderng Aramean. And under that handle, I think he could become the first MP Platinum. (since I'm guessing that one requirement of PM will be 1 year membership, and he'll clear the one year hurdle a few hours earlier than Gleff, Cholula and I do; however, it also depends on the points factor, if it also requires 10k points then Cholula and I might precede him).
  10. meFIRST Silver Member

He goes by two different handles. But that hawaiian shirt and rapid posting cannot be mistaken (in both forums)
    LXJenkins and Gargoyle like this.
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Hawaiian Shirt? Is that a contagious disease? Cholula has had it for years.

I hope and pray I never catch that malady!
    • Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Don't worry, they plan to take you out one night to fix that problem :p
    LXJenkins and Gargoyle like this.