1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, September 16th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

What are you listening to? (Musc Appreciation Thread)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JennB, Feb 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. JennB
    • Original Member

JennB Gold Member

So, my other love in life, besides cars and travel, is music.

I searched around and did not see a thread for music discussion!

What do you guys listen to? Going to any good concerts soon? Seen anything lately?

I'm always looking for suggestions of new things to listen to.
  2. nime01
    • Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

3. JennB
    • Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Interesting. I just learned something new :)

I guess I'll get it started and see if I can get others to talk music. We must have other music lovers on this board.

My tastes are all over the place. I listen mostly to rock, electronic and old hip hop. I also have a soft spot for jazz vocalists. I've always been a bit of a music encyclopedia and make sure to be aware of music all around, different genres, to know a lot of artists, even if it's not what I listen to. It's all about appreciating the art. When you can listen to Catherine Russell, Bassnectar and the Wu-Tang clan all in one day, I think it's safe to say you have diverse tastes.
  4. FlyingFree
    • Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Thanks for starting this thread...I am a musician who stills plays in a rock band and loves all kinds of music.
    One somewhat obscure classical piece I like a lot is the Symphony #2 by Charles Ives...an American composer. He inserts a lot of humor into the symphinic music. My favorite performance is on old one by the New York Philharmonic conducted by Leonard Bernstein. Check it our if you're in the mood for something different.
  5. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Have you checked out the music association thread? Lots of great songs being shared there:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/music-association-thread.941/
  6. Skye1
    • Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Sigur Ros
    "Hopippola"
    I LOVE the video. It's just never too late to have a happy childhood. :D
    http://youtu.be/0uEypy4RNFs

Chicane has a cool remix of it, alhtough by now it's probably dying a slow death in aerobic & spinning classes everywhere...
    http://youtu.be/_cM33vTEbhs
    CharlesG likes this.
  7. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

I have musical tastes that are sometimes too... esoteric? ...obscure? for most people. I would say try the new Dr. Dog album, 'Be The Void'.

In heavy rotation for me this month: the aforementioned Dr. Dog; Tennis, 'Young & Old'; First Aid Kit, 'The Lion's Roar'; Sleigh Bells, 'Reign of Terror', and The Black Keys, 'El Camino'.
  8. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

I love Sigur Ros... unfortunately, the Corporate Music Types have blocked the video here in the US... for a REAL eye-opening Sigur Ros video, check out the clip for 'Gobbledigook'. Definitely NSFW, but not raunchy.
    deltagoldLass likes this.
  9. Skye1
    • Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

u
    ......and in last night's spinning class, it was the trainer's "warm up" song for the class.....
    CharlesG likes this.
  10. Rejuvenated
    • Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

At the moment - Rihanna's Only Girl in the World
  11. General_Flyer
    • Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Listening to Nero, by Two Steps From Hell.. :)

12. druiddation
    • Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

At this moment I'm listening to nothing at all. Well, not entirely accurate as even though I'm parked about 200 yards away I can hear the doors of my car vibrating at times from the music at an aircraft hangar party. I needed to give my ear drums and rib cage a break and charge my phone, but one of the last songs I remember hearing was World Tour by Tribe Called Quest (which had a little mile point theme).
    CharlesG likes this.
  13. MLW20
    • Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

I listen to music on Pandora. My favorite channels right now are Mumford & Sons and Pearl Jam. So basically Pandora will play songs by them and other similar groups.
    CharlesG likes this.
  14. Jimgotkp
    • Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Depends what I'm feeling like... I use Spotify when I listen to music..

Currently listening to:
    CharlesG likes this.
  15. deltagoldLass

deltagoldLass Silver Member

I have very eclectic tastes from Loreena McKennit to GN'R to
    Mozart to rhiana to Beatles and more
    I went to
    " the high school of music and art" in NYC now it's called
    Fiorello h laGuardia hs for music and the arts!
    :)
    CharlesG likes this.
  16. deltagoldLass

deltagoldLass Silver Member

I'm going to see Bruce and Bonnie Raitt as of now- waiting for more announcements who wants to go to concerts!!
    CharlesG likes this.
  17. dmc730

dmc730 Silver Member

In my CD Player in the car are bob Marley, Freddy Jones Band, eminem, and Jack Johnson. Eminem is my going to work music and the rest my coming home music.
    CharlesG likes this.
  18. LAXjunkie415

LAXjunkie415 Gold Member

one of my best summers in 2010 when I was living in Chicago. I managed to see in one summer Ben Folds, John Legend, Billy Joel & Elton John at Wrigley, and Coldplay. The John Legend, Billy Joel & Elton John and Coldplay concerts were all in the same week :rolleyes:
    deltagoldLass and CharlesG like this.
  19. LAXjunkie415

LAXjunkie415 Gold Member

when I am jet setting I am kind of a jazz guy
    CharlesG likes this.
  20. LAXjunkie415

LAXjunkie415 Gold Member

what are some good concerts coming up that people are going to???
  21. Randy Petersen
    • Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

downloaded all the Adele stuff and it kept me company for the three hours to IAH in 20C (non-reclining forward exit row). If i had made the upgrade list i might have tuned in to Loreena McKennitt's 'Mummer's Dance' the whole way. And lost my ear buds — i hate that.
    CharlesG and Gargoyle like this.
  22. Gargoyle
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

OMG! Randy missed the upgrade!!!!!!
    CharlesG likes this.
  23. LAXjunkie415

LAXjunkie415 Gold Member

nothing like a 70's Pan Am classic for takeoff and landing

CharlesG likes this.
  24. SeanMVCA

SeanMVCA Silver Member

You and I (Deadmau5) by Medina. Try it. You won't be disappointed...
    CharlesG likes this.