1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

What Do You Do When You Application Is Pending Approval?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Tamburgy, Aug 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Tamburgy

Tamburgy Member

I just applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and got a "pending approval" response.

I've read that there's a "reconsideration line" that you can call if your application gets denied, but what, if anything, should you do when you apply for a card and it says your application is pending and that you might have to wait up to 2 weeks for an answer?

Do you call the reconsideration line or the application status phone number to inquire? If so, when should I call? The same day, the next day, 4 days?

Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Did you apply like 16min ago? If so I like to give them 24hrs before I call; i've called right after and the CSR didnt even see the application yet.

In any case you should call the Reconsideration for PERSONAL cards I listed below, since CSP is a personal line of credit.

Code:
    Chase

800-436-7927 – Application Status (automated)

888-245-0625 – Reconsideration (direct to a Credit Analyst for PERSONAL cards)
    800-453-9719 – Reconsideration (direct to a Credit Analyst for BUSINESS cards)

Tamburgy and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

I usually call within an hour of applying if my application is pending with Chase so that they can process it.

merice107, Tamburgy and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Tamburgy

Tamburgy Member

Thanks. What do you usually say when you call? I've never done this before so I'm not exactly sure what I should ask.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

"Hello, I am checking on the status of my application."

They then ask you personal information to authenticate you and explain the application status and may ask questions, either from the application or otherwise.

6. Tamburgy

Tamburgy Member

Thanks.

7. sicemdawgs

sicemdawgs Silver Member

I would call the reconsideration line right away (888-245-0625). I did that with the Hyatt card within a minute and was approved in a couple of minutes. I asked them to take some CL from another card and move it to the Hyatt. They did, and I received the card today.

8. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

I always call Chase, not immediately but within a few days. Always worked for me. Be ready to offer options of moving CL, or in worse case closing a card if that would not do. Some of the times after offering moving a CL, I got approved with a new CL (no transfer needed) anyway.

9. Tamburgy

Tamburgy Member

Hmm. So I called yesterday and they said that it would take up to 2 weeks to process the application. They couldn't provide any additional details, even after I asked if there was a way to shorten the time, or if there was anything I could do or information I could provide. They basically said, it'll take up to 2 weeks to process. I called again just now, to see if there was a different response, but I got the same answer.

It seems that I'm in some-sort of limbo-zone in that I don't know whether it will be approved or denied, and may not get that answer for 2 weeks.

10. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

The same thing happened to me when I applied for the CSP, I think. They took FOREVER (two-three weeks), but ended up lowering the credit limit on one of my other Chase cards and then approving me. I called several times and customer service wasn't any help. Admittedly, I didn't know about the reconsideration line at the time, but I did call the toll free number connected with the application.

11. deant
    • Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Did you call the number that sicemdawgs provided? They have always been able to make a determination for me.

12. Tamburgy

Tamburgy Member

Yeah, that's the number I called.

13. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

If you don't call immediately after applying, your app is held in zombie land for ~24 to 48 hours, but the reps can process it after the computer lets them process the app.

I'd try again in a few days.

14. Tamburgy

Tamburgy Member

Ok, will do. Thanks for the advice.

15. Sweet Willie
    • Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

to perhaps take some stress out of your life. What does it matter if it takes two weeks for a response? Do you have immediate need for the points/miles? If not, relax, you tried to push & it didn't work, no need in my opinion to worry anymore, it is out of your hands.

16. sicemdawgs

sicemdawgs Silver Member

The problem is that the app could be denied and it is harder to get it approved. If you call right away, you can talk to someone and get it approved on the spot (it has happened with me). It is much harder to get an approval after it has been denied than when it is being reviewed. Just a thought.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  17. Sweet Willie
    • Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

I have no doubt about your situation.

You most likely were probably on the cusp of being approved/denied. Most people are not on the edge, most are a cut & dried case of whether they will be approved, so calling will not make any difference. (this comes from years of selling data to CC companies & having discussions w/those that make up the decision logic/process)

So I still stand by my point, call after the application, provide any additional info they request. But no one is going to 'sell' a CC provider on getting approved. You either will meet the criteria or you won't. So to keep calling is a waste of one's time.

Sunshine7 and sicemdawgs like this.
  18. sicemdawgs

sicemdawgs Silver Member

I definitely agree with not continuing to call and call right after the application (which is what I did).:)

Sweet Willie and Sunshine7 like this.
  19. jesusmcavazos1

jesusmcavazos1 New Member

Chase is not the only bank,, apply for another different card. What about Bank of Americard (very good option to travel, there's no fees for shopping or expend abroad! American Express is a very good option too !