1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, July 22th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you in advance for your understanding.

What was your personal shortest flight ever?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by kansaskeith, Nov 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

What was your personal shortest flight ever? Please explain in comments.

1. Less than 100 miles.

85.2%
  2. 101 - 200 miles.

11.1%
  3. 201 - 300 miles.

1.9%
  4. I've never flown a flight less than 300 miles.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Please, scheduled airline flights only, not including demos, diversions or returns to departing airport for IRROPS. It is, however, okay to report one short leg of a scheduled flight even if your ticket was to remain onboard and fly a second segment of the same flight to another city.

Hope this poll hasn't been done before, I didn't see one. My idea came from a discussion on the "Guess The Airport" thread today where there was talk about ATH - JTA being a very short flight one or two milepointers had flown. It's 141 miles. So I thought I'd take a poll on what's the shortest anyone on here had flown.

Technically, choice one in the poll should read "100 miles or less." I can't go back and edit that, but please treat it accordingly.

Anybody flown this one? http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/the-world’s-shortest-passenger-flight-at-under-2-minutes-is….43588/
    jbcarioca and DestinationDavid like this.
  2. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

My personal shortest was PSP - ONT on TW about 1991. 65 miles.

I also flew SMF - OAK a time or two on PSA, but that's slightly longer.
    jbcarioca and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    • Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Mine was PVD-LGA on US Air and it's 143 miles.
    jbcarioca and kansaskeith like this.
  4. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Lax-San. 109 miles
    jbcarioca likes this.
  5. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

HNL-LIH 102 miles though I don't really remember it. Shortest that I do remember is SEA-YVR which is 127.
  6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

I forgot one that was even shorter than my PSP - ONT journey. On a flight from ORD - MIA on UA one time, we made a scheduled stop in FLL. The way this poll is phrased, then, FLL - MIA would have qualified as the shortest: 21 miles.
    LauraPDX and jbcarioca like this.
  7. icurhere2
    • Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

I think my shortest scheduled commercial flight was ELM-ITH (32) on a B1900D.
  8. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Getting off-topic, but my shortest flight with hot-meal service was on a Boeing 777, SIN - KUL (first-class, chicken satays) on SQ (213 miles). I'd like to see a domestic U.S. carrier do that these days :)
    jbcarioca and legalalien like this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    • Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

I was the poster who mentioned flying ATH-JTR and it being a pretty short flight. As mentioned, it's 136 miles, which makes it my 5th shortest flight. The other four?

LAX-SAN 109 miles
    HNL-OGG 101 miles
    DEN-CYS 90 miles
    MKE-ORD 67 miles
    jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Gardyloo
    • Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Three that come to mind...

CDB-KVC, 19 mi., more reps than I can remember (Goose, Aztec, Navaho, Comanche)
    DUT-KQA, 35 mi., ditto (on a Goose)
    EUG-SLE, 55 mi., a few times (UA Convair)
  11. NYBanker
    • Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

I've done ith-bgm on USAir. That is 31 miles.

In the early 90s, DL ran a JFK-Mia-FLL flight. I flew the 21 miles Mia-FLL as part of the longer journey. It was L1011 service, too. :)
    jbcarioca likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    • Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

When I flew this, sq had j, but not f. It was quite nice for a 40 minute flight. The food wasn't overwhelming.

Report here: http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/silk-ai...re-business-class-sin-kul-sin-rtw-part-4.html
    jbcarioca likes this.
  13. NYBanker
    • Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

14. catgirl
    • Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

MKE-ORD 67 miles :)
    LauraPDX, NYBanker and jbcarioca like this.
  15. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

JER GCI 24.14 miles, in a turbo prop, possibly the most expensive £ per mile I have spent on flying.
    No tier points, only tears.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  16. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Ozark Airlines use to run a Joplin, MO to Springfield, MO flight that was about 70 miles in a fifteen seat flight. It was always interesting to see people's expressions when they saw the size of the plane.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  17. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

HNL-OGG 99.9 miles in the 90s.

MRE-WIL ~140 miles in 2000.

I am pretty sure that in the early '80s I took a turboprop from ABE to EWR. About a dozen or so seats and about 5'5" headroom. I seem to recall thinking that we appeared to be following I-78 East and I looked out the window to see if the light on the end of the wing blinked when we exited. :) 66 Miles.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  18. milchap
    • Original Member

milchap Gold Member

YVR-YYJ = 39 miles.
    YULtide, TRAVELSIG and jbcarioca like this.
  19. mgrepo

mgrepo Silver Member

Way back when, on AA on an MD-80, flew from DCA to IAD on the way to Dallas.
    boondr, jbcarioca and kansaskeith like this.
  20. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Sheesh! That's 23 miles, almost like the FLL-MIA that a couple of us remember literally sitting through. I chuckled on the "way back when" line in your post. Some things haven't changed since "way back when:" like MD-80s!
    jbcarioca likes this.
  21. Art234
    • Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

SJC-OAK in 1982 on a PSA 727. It was a stop on the way to SAN. Routing was SJC-OAK-SAN.
  22. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

ESC-IMT in a CRJ....50 miles, 9 minutes wheels-up

:)
    jbcarioca likes this.
  23. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Now THAT's the type of route CRJs were designed for, unlike those three-hour jobbies we're seeing now. Are ya listening, American Airlines and Eagle? :)
    hulagrrl210, mo26 and jbcarioca like this.
  24. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

FNT-DTW (often) because it's very cost effective, saves money on parking, and adds miles and segments.

Typically 16 minutes in the air.

DTWBOB
    jbcarioca likes this.
  25. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

TPA-SRQ. 40 miles across Tampa Bay. Luggage went in the wing box. Plane had 8 seats, air conditioning consisted of the pilot holding his window open. Somehow this was a scheduled flight.
    jbcarioca likes this.