What's better? Hyatt, Marriott or Hilton?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Apr 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    • Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

I might be traveling for work from May-July and can stay at Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt properties. I am a Hilton Diamond but have no status with Hyatt or Marriott. I know Hyatt's Q2 bonus is better than Marriott's so I'm not going to bother w/ Marriott. However, should I continue on my normal path of staying at Hilton properties or should this be a time to max out on Hyatt nights for the bonus?
    uggboy and iloveawardtravel like this.
  2. Scottrick
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Lets just say I've never daydreamed about staying at a Hilton or a Marriott.
  3. efox

efox Member

If you have multi-day stays, Hyatt is better as its promo is day-based.

If you have mostly 1-day stays, Hilton might make sense (1000 pt + 3000 Virgin miles + diamond amenities per stay)
  4. RichardInSF
    • Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

As to which has better hotels, it clearly is a location-by-location decision in most cases.
  5. gleff
    • Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Overall Hyatt's elite program is better than Hilton's. If Hyatt's locations work for you then that's what I'd focus on and ask for an elite status challenge to get up to Diamond more quickly.

And it sounds like Hyatt's locations will work, they're just far fewer than Hilton's or Marriott's.

But as a Hilton Diamond and without getting status in a competing chain I admit I'd probably stick with what I've got, at least there's lounge access though if you're expensing breakfast and internet then the elite benefits with Hilton don't mean so much because the ugrades aren't meaningful as part of the program (though some hotels are more generous than required).

In general I agree with the comment about not dreaming about Hilton stays, there aren't that many aspirational Hiltons, but there are some. I mean, there's the Waldorf=Astoria Beach House in the Maldives or the Conrad Koh Samui that I've just booked for myself, the Conrad Sanya looks great as well. Just wish that Hilton Diamond included suite upgrades as a component of the program...
  6. DonV.Smith
    • Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

I'm in the Marriott camp most of the time. It works well for me, they're typically near where I need to be (I like convenience), and I cash in points on great vacation properties. That said, I'm not a pusher.

What I'd recommend is if you are looking at staying somewhere other than Hilton - leverage your status and ask Hyatt or Marriott if they will status match for your business. Get the status, rack up some stays and enjoy the comfort and convenience that meets your needs :)
  7. gobears86
    • Original Member

gobears86 Active Member

I switched over to Hyatt this quarter due to the promotion. I was approved for the Diamond Elite Status Challenge and it's been great so far as you get all of the Diamond bonuses during the challenge period. The Hilton promotion in Q2 compared to Q1 is much worse since I usually stay four nights when I travel (miss those quadruple points).
  8. chitownflyer
    • Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

To the OP, I also really liked Hilton's Q1 promo and find the Q2 promo to be a disappointment. I would base my hotel choices upon where you are staying and what is the quality of your hotels. Take a look at tripadvisor.com for some of the Hyatts and Hiltons in the area(s) you will be staying and see their feedback. The main difference between the two brands is Hyatt has a much more limited number of hotels almost like a boutique branded hotel, but some of their hotels are spectacular. With Hilton, it has over 3000 hotels under its various brands ranging from a Hampton Inn to Hilton to the Waldorf brand, but the best Hilton branded hotels are often found at their international locations where service and amenities are often much better than the US. Happy travels.
  9. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Hyatt in our opinion is the overall superior hotel chain against Hilton and Marriott.

Hyatt is more reliable and seems much more aspirational // inspirational at times as the other two.

Yes, Hilton and Marriott have more hotels // locations // brands and offer also reliability, but in our experience having stayed also with Hilton and Marriott a lot in earlier years, we must confess that Hyatt has won out in being simply a notch above against comparable properties from the other two chain offerings.

We also prefer the Hyatt Gold Passport Program against the other two.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Agreed- particularly outside of the USA.
  11. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Absolutely right the European // Middle Eastern // Asian Offerings are superior against the many US offerings.

We have stayed in many Hyatt's in Europe, one in Africa and some in Asia and yes, these properties are very very memorable for the right reasons. Really like the Park Hyatt Seoul, Grand Hyatt Seoul, Park Hyatt Tokyo, Hyatt Regency Jeju, Grand Hyatt Taipei and others. In Europe the Park Hyatt Hamburg is fabulous which we experienced and the new Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf is pure design. While the Hyatt Regency The Churchill in London is under renovation and should become even stronger.

Look forward to our first Hyatt in the Middle East region. They have all a good // great reputation.
  12. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    • Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

I have to admit, the Park Hyatt in Shanghai and Beijing were both great. I just haven't had much exposure nor opportunity to stay at Hyatt in the US mostly due to corporate travel policies. Perhaps I need to take advantage of this opportunity... I haven't heard a lot of people making the case for Hilton or Marriott.
    uggboy likes this.
  13. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

We have never stayed at a Park Hyatt in North America. Our exposure to Hyatt incl. their Regency, Grand and Park Hyatt properties is mostly for now in Europe and Asia. Our experiences have shown that in every category through this three Hyatt brands, this hotel company excels in many ways over Marriott or Hilton.

I would also say that especially the Park Hyatt brand connects design // location // luxury best in our minds like the Park Hyatt Hamburg, a classical maritime setting with superb design, location and luxury // service throughout. The Park Hyatt Tokyo is an icon, it can give us // you the experience you // we want. From privacy and service to full-blown entertainment options in their NY Bar // Grill to be and to be seen. The Park Hyatt Seoul is emblematic design, a tower of glass and sheer beauty everywhere, only broken by one or two service issues, but overall a world-beating hotel. This are the three Park Hyatt's we have stayed so far and we would give 10 // 10.
  14. chitownflyer
    • Original Member

Hyatt has some great Asian and Indian hotels, but it can not compare to the number of Hilton hotels in Europe. Hyatt is almost like a boutique hotel brand in many ways which has both pluses and minuses.
    TRAVELSIG and uggboy like this.
  15. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Indeed, in Europe, Hyatt is small and has not a lot properties eg. loved the Park Hyatt Hamburg, the superior and new Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf and great experiences incl. free upgrades for Platinum members like we are at their Hyatt Regency Birmingham plus superb food // drink // rooms in HR The Churchill in London too, but what they have on offer seems to be in our experiences superior against many Hilton // Marriott options out there.:)

In Asia, Hyatt is superior, we have experienced all properties in Tokyo with them and have all properties in South Korea under our belt, excellent is the word. From practical functional upscale properties eg. Hyatt Regency Tokyo // Hyatt Regency Incheon // Jeju-do // Kota Kinabalu via large and sumptious eg. Grand Hyatt Seoul // Grand Hyatt Tokyo // Grand Hyatt Taipei to super luxurious eg. Park Hyatt Tokyo // Park Hyatt Seoul. In Asia this is a great offering which we are very much enjoy.:)
  16. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Agreed- however the quality of Hyatt in Europe is pretty much superior to Hilton in most major cities in Europe- Hilton does have a big advantage on number of locations with a much bigger deviation of what you can expect as a customer.
    uggboy likes this.
  17. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Exactly TRAVELSIG! Here the fewer properties of Hyatt outshine the many Hilton's in Europe. With Marriott, the situation is not better in our opinion, in the properties we have stayed we got everything from very good service // luxury rooms to at one full service Marriott.....eg. the forgot us at breakfast.

In our view, when you can choose Hyatt, they are superior in most cases.:)
  18. Sweet Willie
    • Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Do you need these upcoming stays in order to re-qualify for Hilton Diamond or can you try Hyatt (with a status match) and still be Hilton Diamond? if latter, I would try Hyatt no doubt.
    uggboy likes this.
  19. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Definitely Hyatt, they are superior in properties and to collect points // status with them! All hard earned knowledge through experience with the other hotel chains incl. Hilton // Marriott!:)
  20. Jenny & Curt
    • Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

You don't mention Starwood, but I think that might be worth a look, as well.
    That said, I am Hyatt Diamond, status matched to SPG Platinum. We just spent 10 days in Thailand. In Thailand, we stayed in 5 different SPG properties and the Grand Hyatt Erawan, Bangkok. Though we had some spectacular suite upgrades and fabulous Platinum treatment at the SPG properties, the Hyatt was special and felt like coming home.
    We are just finishing up a trip to Europe which was primarily to use up the 5 free nights my husband (Priority Club Platinum) earned through Priority Club's Sweet Dilemma. To that, we added a car trip to various SPG properties and 2 Hyatts (Warsaw and Mainz.)
    We have stayed in 2 of our 3 Priority club (award stay) properties, and, though we enjoyed both stays, Priority Club is a difficult one to wish for elite status with, since even the top tier elites seem to have to beg for privileges. SPG has been a bit of a mixed bag -- some properties -- and we've stayed at two US ones and 13 European ones this month -- have been above and beyond in their Platinum recognition, gifts, suites. Others have given us barely a nod. The two Hyatts we have stayed in (Warsaw and Mainz) have really gone the extra mile in their treatment. Plus, we really like the certainty of knowing we'll have breakfast, either in the lounge or in the dining room. I guess I really don't like to venture out for breakfast, and get tired of paying 20 Euros or more each day for breakfast. We've been carrying yogurt and muesli and bowls and spoons from property to property with us, and I never know if we'll be eating it or not. (Unless we're at a Hyatt.)
    So, if Hyatt has properties in your locations, then I'd say go for their program, trying for Diamond status. If not, SPG has some great properties and a good program, but much less even elite treatment. (IMO, YMMV)
  21. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Thanks for the great infos and thoughts Jenny & Curt! Indeed, we could easily give all programs here a thought from Marriott to Hilton via SPG! But in our opinion the Hyatt Gold Passport program is superior in every respect, because 1. their properties are always more consistent and more aspirational than the others, 2. the opportunity to earn consistent recognition is way better with Hyatt and had never a real problem with them and 3. to get the chance to achieve status // collect points // rewards at Hyatt seems way easier to achieve with Hyatt than the others here spoken in the thread! We tried them all incl. Priority Club but most properties outside Hyatt had been mostly a mixed bag from great to forgettable in our opinion. So indeed, you are right, when Hyatt offers the hotels in the locations we travel // or other travellers of course should definitively choose one of their properties. Naturally, Hyatt is smaller than it's mentioned competitors here, but when it suits it suits.

In our own experience Hyatt has always been superior, we are Platinum and not Diamond, despite this we have in many locations received benefits, from complimentary Lounge access, welcome amenities to room upgrades. Also consistency plays a big role in the success of the Gold Passport for us eg. always we received our points for stays or our status was always acknowledged with the hotels themselves, free internet is a given in all Hyatt's thanks to Platinum, we had not any problems with this at any Hyatt so far for receiving this status benefit. Also we love the many promotions Hyatt offers which lets us even faster collect points and redeem some points at very desirable properties incl. their very best Park Hyatt's around the world. :)
  22. chitownflyer
    • Original Member

Hilton has so many hotels that the variance in quality can be quite large, so the key is to use trip advsior and see the feedback on a specific hotel and then compare it to Hyatt or anohter hotel brand to make a decision.
    uggboy and DonV.Smith like this.
  23. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

True- although there are some very nice Hilton Family properties- particularly in Asia (Bangkok&Singapore: Conrad, Shanghai:WA, KL: Hilton).
    uggboy and DonV.Smith like this.
  24. DonV.Smith
    • Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

I was thinking the same with Marriott; the higher category hotels, and some of the brands like 'EDITION' are quite nice... Plus they partner with Ritz Carlson, so that extra level of luxury is available if/when you want it :)
    uggboy likes this.
  25. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Indeed, it is really nice to know with Marriott that we can spread our wings, expect a certain standard at many diverse price points and have nevertheless access to JW, Edition, Ritz Carlton and other superb hotels. In our opinion, here Marriott matches Hyatt, the difference for us is that Marriott has greater coverage and supplements our Hyatt stays perfectly.:)

We look forward to earn with both of them // points // status and embrace some of their higher end properties as rewards too!:)
    PRGN_Legacy and DonV.Smith like this.