Which States have medical marijuana cards?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Punki, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    • Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Here is Washington medical marijuana cards are rather simple to obtain for those who suffer pain, and who doesn't? Which other States honor medical marijuana cards?

If you have a card, can you travel to a state that does not have the cards with impunity?
  2. work2fly
    • Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

CA has them.

One of the local news stations did an expose - the reporter commented he never dreamed there were so many 18-22 year old men with chronic pain [​IMG]
    Gargoyle and cockpitvisit like this.
  3. misman
    • Original Member

misman Gold Member

I don't know exactly what you mean by this statement, but I will convey that Montel Williams (who has MS and uses medical MJ) was detained at an airport for "drug paraphanalia" trying to take a pipe through security. It was a non-issue, and was more of an inconvenience.

I wouldn't expect that one can travel to another state with their card and use their "medication" without impunity if an LEO was inclined to enforce that state law. I guess you just have to travel to medical MJ states [​IMG]
  4. Flyer_Esq
    • Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Good question. I don't have the answer and I suspect the law on this topic is evolving as more states pass medical marijuana laws. You could argue that Full Faith and Credit clause would require other states to acknowledge your marijuana card (just like other states have to acknowledge your marriage license), but I suppose the fact that it is illegal under federal law further complicates things. I think I recall hearing about a case in Oregon where the Full Faith and Credit clause argument did not work.
  5. Westsox
    • Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Other states do not have to acknowledge the marriage license/certificate of GLBT couples, hence, they do not have to acknowledge for medical marijuana.
  6. Flyer_Esq
    • Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Other states do not have to acknowledge the marriage license of same sex couples because the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) defines marriage as between one man and one woman. Thus, same sex marriage is not recognized by the federal government, and DOMA is what is used to deny same sex couples protection under the Full Faith and Credit Clause.
  7. Frequent Freak
    • Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

I think MMJ is the leading industry in Colorado nowadays.
  8. noname2
    • Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Truly in Colorado, you see a dispensery every mile. I broke my leg last summer and was offered it as an option.
  9. Scottrick
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Generally, states have some level of sovereignty. That's why it's the United States, and not just America. Some states are free to impose their own laws regarding marijuana. Just because you have a card from one state where it's legal does not mean you can take the card and the marijuana with you when traveling to another state where it is not.
    MrsBobSgt likes this.
  10. carsonheim
    • Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. Gargoyle
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  12. carsonheim
    • Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

HA! the maryjane DO in the booming metropolis of Redding, CA. [​IMG]
  13. misman
    • Original Member

misman Gold Member

You may have to limit pariticipation. You could go broke on brownies
  14. AtomicGardener
    • Original Member

AtomicGardener Silver Member

15. auh2o
    • Original Member

auh2o Silver Member

In CA the cards are easy to get. Anyone who can pay the $140 fee can pretty much get one. No real questions asked.
  16. Cosmos Human
    • Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Not in Ohio, yet .I don't know if I would qualify. I am living with a torn ACL and meniscus from a rock climbing accident in 2005. Never had surgery just physical therapy. Well, since I lost a boatload of weight I don't have a lot of pain. I'd be afraid I would get the munchies on pot, and I don't want to gain weight.
  17. jneugeba
    • Original Member

jneugeba Gold Member

Mile? Wow where I live, it is about every block!
  18. misman
    • Original Member

misman Gold Member

You must live in a "medically challenged" neighborhood [​IMG]
  19. jneugeba
    • Original Member

jneugeba Gold Member

Yes, there is much "chronic pain" around where I live.