1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, July 22th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you in advance for your understanding.

win it in a minute

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by EYK, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. schnitzel
    • Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Wow! It's really gone!

I got one last weekly winner in there for my son, and now poof!

I wonder exactly what "official winners" means. I hope it's anyone who got an email.
  2. schnitzel
    • Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

I also hope IHG got all of their money back and then some from ePrize.
    cr34102 likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

ePrize should have to pay for the points doled out in this utterly flawed game.
    cr34102 likes this.
  4. schnitzel
    • Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

I'm sure they had some contract spelling out what happened in the event of many situations, so who knows.

But, with a stain like this, is ePrize a viable business going forward?
  5. pseudosphere
    • Original Member

pseudosphere Silver Member

Thank goodness. This game was a farce. I wonder if they're going to go back and retroactively DQ people who they thought were cheating. Given how they've been deciding that the last couple of weeks, I'm sure some legitimate players will get caught in it as well.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

According to Wikipedia, they are a 350 person company that was founded in 1999. Quite shocking to see that an established company made several so obvious mistakes.
  7. Westsox
    • Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Maybe this is abusing the system. All 7 accounts I manage are legitimate accounts for my wife, my kids and my parents. Several have Priority Club credit cards and utilize their accounts individually. Since they do not have the desire play the points and miles game, I do it for them. I think that is different than a single individual having multiple accounts or using their knowledge of computer hacking to cheat on the games.
    cr34102 likes this.
  8. schnitzel
    • Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

I just looked at another one of ePrize's promos.

They ask for all of your name/address info, and then they have an asterisk for optional fields. Doesn't an asterisk usually mean "required" field?

They clearly have their own way of doing things, and with 350 people, they must be decently successful.
  9. cr34102
    • Original Member

cr34102 Gold Member

Thanks for responding. Now you've got me thinkin' - and I've reviewed the replay tape. :)

I guess my issue is playing multiple accounts in a "fixed # of winners contest" vs an "unlimited # of winners" one (thinking of the recent "where am I" PC photo contest). When everyone can win, there was much more collegiality and an entire thread of FTers working together to get the winning answer. If a person plays 10 accounts and is a travel/trivia wizard, those 10 wins mean that's 9 regular folks that can't win.

That said, I'm obviously just as bad in rationalizing why breaking the rules is sometimes ok.

And the conduct of this particular game still sucked. :rolleyes:
    aitchly likes this.
  10. schnitzel
    • Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

In the sense that you can't share the trivia questions from user to user, and you're very likely to see dupes if you're playing seven accounts, sure, that's abusing the system.

But I'd put that in the "very tame" category, especially considering what else was going on.
  11. Tiki
    • Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

*** Copied from my post on FT, I don't know if IHG are aware of MilePoint yet***

Thank God, both the "trivia" contest and the thead on FT have been like a train wreck I don't really want to watch but couldn't stop watching. I agree with Raffles and most of the others who posted here. IHG advertised this game as a Trivia Contest, and that was all we wanted. A chance to test our knowledge of travel locations around the world with other travelers and win some points in the process. What it turned into was a travesty and no where near a Trivia Contest. If IHG wants to run a Cache reading contest, a Fastest Finger contest or Game Hacking contest they are well within their rights to do so but please label it correctly so those of us who don't want to compete on that level won't bother.

From the IHG marketing point of view, let me point out a few things that make other promos successful from THEIR point of view which to encourage people to book their hotels vs booking other hotels like Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.

1. Anywhere Challenge
    Successful on so many levels it isn't funny! Firstly, the maximum number of points awarded per account was 16,000 over the whole competition. This is enough to get you a cheapie HIX but not the top end resorts nor is it enough to get more than a $25 gift card to online shopping outlets. It's 3 nights at a Points break IF you are lucky enough to find one where you are going. Not big enough to attract cheaters. In order to get a better award, you need to utilize the account and spend money with IHG to increase your points balance. The PR value of this game was priceless. While researching the answers, we had to look at their Anywhere Hotel site and see what hotels were near the location in the photo. Everyone got something, even if it was only 500 points and went away feeling positive about IHG and wanted to come back.

2. Crack the Case
    Clearly successful because you have to actually STAY at a hotel to get the big points and the goals are realistic depending on if you are a business traveller or leisure traveller.

3. Stay X get x,000 promos
    Successful because IHG recognizes that we have choices where to stay. If giving us a bonus motivates us to book an IHG property instead of a Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt or whatever, IHG just won.

Now lets look at why this "Trivia Contest" was a failure.
    1. The potential prize payoff was too huge to NOT attract chea..............oops I mean "differently skilled players". They were looking at over 100,000 points per account which gets you 2.5 nights at the most luxurious resorts or about $300 in online shopping vouchers.

2. The games on the Flash platform are just too easily hacked and I think the majority of IHG guests are of the sort who would know travel trivia but not be inclined to hack a game.

3. Compare this thread to the Anywhere Challenge thread. Nothing but love for IHG over there http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...e-win-up-60-000-points-over-next-8-weeks.html Yes, they probably didn't intend for us to all work together but that was a PR triumph in itself for IHG as it got us talking about HOTELS not how to hack the game.

SO IHG lurkers, please consider the points I am making above. We were thrilled to death to win the smaller amounts on the Anywhere Challenge and went away feeling so positive about your company. Please bring back Anywhere Challenge!
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Thanks for this excellent and thoughtful summary, Tiki. I wish I could double-click the "Like" link :)
    Tiki likes this.
  13. wanderlust
    • Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Spot on Tiki! You summed up my thoughts in a much more eloquent fashion than my mind is capable of. [​IMG] I loved the Anywhere Challenge, but this promotion left a sour taste in my mouth.
    Tiki likes this.
  14. GoodBoy
    • Original Member

GoodBoy Gold Member

All good things must come to an end

Unfortunately, we have identified some technical issues with the Win It in a Minute trivia challenge. We have determined that these issues are beyond our control and feel they have impaired the proper functioning of the contest.

As a result, we have decided to end the game as of the conclusion of Week #5 (February 25, 2011).

Congratulations to our winners and to those who have clearly shown they know a thing or two about travel! We will be awarding points to all the official winners in the next 3-4 weeks.

You can still become a Priority Club member (it's free!) and be the first to know about upcoming promotions, games and contests.
    Horse likes this.
  15. schnitzel
    • Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

You (nicely) ignored all of the nonsense this morning. For a while, the game was open. Then, there was a "maintenance" note. It seems that the smarties over at ePrize forgot to change the automated scripts that take place each Monday morning.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Brilliant! Just when you thought it couldn't get any more silly and embarrassing for ePrize and PC/IHG...
  17. Westsox
    • Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Maybe they will take all the points for the remaining weeks and award them to everyone that participated.
  18. GoodBoy
    • Original Member

GoodBoy Gold Member

yes i didn't see it operating, when i first logged on it was down for maintenance, and then not long after I saw the notice it had been cancelled. I actually enjoyed the game irrespective of others cheating, it just felt like some exercise for the brain.
  19. cordray2643
    • Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

I still don't understand how anybody was able to get the point totals that they did. Maybe I am just not very trivia smart. Oh well, I wish they would do better stay promos and forgo doing these types of promos anyway.
  20. schnitzel
    • Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Sounds like:

A - People compiled a list of trivia questions by using multiple accounts.

B - People read the cache to find the answers.

C - People wrote bots to use the answers to answer the questions immediately.

It's like hacking encryption: if it can be written, it can be hacked.
  21. baliparis
    • Original Member

baliparis Silver Member

I'm glad it came to an end. A little surprised it wasn't sooner.
  22. MrAOK
    • Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

I was also a little surprised when the hacking was revealed, it didn't end sooner. But I liked the trivia contest overall.

I wonder if they will be able to figure out who hacked and take away their points. It shouldn't be too hard. Look for people who regularly got the maximum number of points
  23. schnitzel
    • Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

There was really no maximum, as far as I can see. The timer started when the file loaded, so, I guess, theoretically the max was 60K, but I never saw a number like that. I think hackers are smart enough to back off that kind of a number and just go for an in-the-money number.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

I think there were several "people" who reached 57-58k points repeatedly.
  25. schnitzel
    • Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

So all of those scores should be invalidated? Seems a little arbitrary - then cheaters just go lower.