1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Zone 2 Boarding for Delta AMEX cardholders.....

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by DeltaExpert, Aug 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeltaExpert
    • Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Zone 2 Boarding for all DL amex cardholders and 20% off inflight purchases as well

American Express (NYSE: AXP) and Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL) today unveiled two new benefits – priority boarding and in-flight savings – for eligible U.S. Consumer and Small Business Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers.

Starting September 1, Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers will enjoy priority boarding on Delta flights. With this new benefit they’ll have early access to overhead compartments and extra time to get settled. Reserve Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers will continue to use the Sky Priority lane and have access to Premium Security lines where available.

The introduction of priority boarding for Cardmembers will work like the valuable First Bag Free Card benefit. Gold, Platinum and Reserve Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers can check one bag for free and extend the benefit to others traveling in their reservation on every Delta flight. Similarly, with priority boarding, Cardmembers may welcome travel companions to board the flight with them.
    “We know our Cardmembers love the First Bag Free benefit – especially their ability to share it with others traveling in their reservation” said Gunther Bright, senior vice president and general manager, co-brand partnerships, American Express. “This year, we’re thrilled to extend that experience by adding priority boarding and in-flight savings benefits for Cardmembers. Now friends and families can board early together and save together on in-flight purchases using their Card.”

All Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers will receive a 20 percent savings beginning September 1 on eligible Delta in-flight amenities including food, beverages, movies, television shows and video games.
    “We continue to build a better travel experience for Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Cardmembers and these new benefits are significant wins for the customer,” said Jeff Robertson, vice president, SkyMiles, Delta Air Lines. “Now in addition to checking a bag at no cost, customers can enjoy early boarding which results in stress-free stowage of carry-on bags and discounts on in-flight purchases – both of which are priorities for our co-brand customers.”

Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Benefits and Features

• American Express offers several Delta co-brand Credit Cards, including the Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards, and Delta Reserve Credit Card, which feature many benefits in addition to priority boarding and in-flight savings:
    • A free checked bag on every Delta flight – up to a $50 savings per person on a round-trip ticket – available for the Cardmember and up to eight people traveling in their reservation
    • One mile for every eligible dollar spent on the Card
    • Double miles for all Delta purchases
    • No limit to the number of miles Cardmembers can earn and miles don’t expire
    • Ability to “Pay with Miles” – Cardmembers can pay for all or a portion of the cost of any Delta seat with no black out dates or seat restrictions
    • Domestic companion certificate upon annual renewal of Cardmembership
    • Ability to redeem miles at discounted redemption rates on hotel stays, car rentals merchandise and more
    http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1422

Dorlee, jrp2 and rwoman like this.
  2. rwoman
    • Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Seems like this will dilute the few Silver Medallion benefits that exist.. I know there are better credit cards, but I'm sure many Medallions carry a DL AMEX of some sort. I wonder how high the percentage of non-elite DL AMEX cardholders is...I'd imagine the free bag has already helped them get some business.

jmrich1432, ryandc99 and DeltaExpert like this.
  3. ryandc99
    • Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

The Gate Lice problem will only get worse!

4. DeltaExpert
    • Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

At least United boards their credit card members after ALL elites

mtkeller likes this.
  5. ryandc99
    • Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Kettles invading the priority boarding.

KyRoamer, rwoman and DeltaExpert like this.
  6. mtkeller
    • Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

I've been planning to cancel my DL Platinum AmEx (simplifying my credit card portfolio), and I think I should call in and state this devaluation of elite benefits as the reason for cancelling. Probably won't make much difference, but this is a major slap in the face to FOs.

7. jmrich1432
    • Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

I read the press release and no where in it do I see them specify Zone 2 as the priority boarding that card members will receive. The only thing I see is "priority boarding."

If they do board with FOs that will certainly dilute the benefits, but that hasn't been clarified yet. Unless someone has additional info that's not in either press release? I definitely could have missed something....

rwoman and DeltaExpert like this.
  8. mtkeller
    • Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

See this page on DL.dumb, which confirms Zone 2.

rwoman, DeltaExpert and jmrich1432 like this.
  9. jmrich1432
    • Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Thanks! I had only read the press release (identical on Amex/DL sites) and it didn't specify. I know FOs occassionally get upgrades, but SM doesn't really seem worth it now....

rwoman and DeltaExpert like this.
  10. mtkeller
    • Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

It's surely significantly devalued, but preferred seating and better support during IROPs are decent things to have available. I sure wouldn't do an MR to make FO, however. This change may motivate me to ensure that I requalify for (at least) GM in 2013 when racking up MQMs in 2012 though.

rwoman, traveller99 and jmrich1432 like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

I'm waiting for the screams from FOs.

DLroads, jmrich1432, mtkeller and 2 others like this.
  12. rwoman
    • Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Probably reserved for TOBB. ;)

MSPeconomist and jmrich1432 like this.
  13. DLroads
    • Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

I was actually a FO for a year (yes, 2006). At that time, FO was silver. Yes, I remember being laughed at when I asked about the UG, etc., but the other benefits were good- exit row, waiver of small fees when applicable, better treatment in general- that got me to go for GM (and then above).

A FO pax today would just see what they get and go elsewhere. That's not the way to create a future GM/PM/DM...

MSPeconomist likes this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

True, but given how easy it is to become FO, what good benefits can they realistically expect? If we're comparing across carriers, FO is probably closer to 3P than 2P on UA because it can be so easy to get some MQMs without flying or have FO gifted to you. They still get better treatment than the general population, about the same way DL treats some partner elites. Better privileges must be earned.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  15. DLroads
    • Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

The status is worth it only if you are flying. There are little/limited benefits if you are not flying to FO (ok, get into the Whitney for free first friday of every month? ;-) )
    Now, the person who is actually flying would feel that they do not get their money worthwhile.
    I have 5 or 6 FO working for us. I have an interest in having them fly in comfort (as possible). The FO program is not giving them much more than AMEX (actually, the things that still remain are: (a) the 25% bonus, (b) greater than zero chance for UG (c) access to exit row on domestic, and discounted EC on international flights)
    I was afraid to list the benefits, because DL and amex may cut a deal to give those to cardholders as well... yuppi! :eek:

16. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

I think the Whitney is free (contribute what you wish) on Friday evenings all month for everyone, IIRC 6-9 pm.

17. DLroads
    • Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

so, DL sent the promotion email stating it is a Medallion benefit, and it is not? oh, well... FO's at some point would be p!$$ed

SC Flier likes this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Maybe it's free all day on the first Friday versus free every Friday evening after 6 pm.

19. DLroads
    • Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Yep, but we do see that DL 'sells' out all FO benefits. Oh well. Some would vote with their feet and wallet, some would bite, some would scream at DL CS and get 1,000 miles CR bonus.

20. bez7
    • Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Who really cares, anyway? I've got no status and I've got the card yet I'll still choose to board at final call. With the free bag I don't worry about overhead space, and the less time I can spend on a plane the better!

ryandc99 and DeltaExpert like this.
  21. ryandc99
    • Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

DYKWIA?

MSPeconomist and DeltaExpert like this.
  22. DLroads
    • Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Congratulations to SC Flier for being the 2,000 like for liking this message...now back to business... we have more than our fair share of concerns with DL over the last few days...

23. mattsteg
    • Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

At least the Golds haven't gotten hit with a suckerpunch aimed for them quite yet.